Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    It helps t get the car into a low gear. I`ve tried to get the screw out on a car at the jun yard and couldn`t get enough leverage on the screwdriver with it stuck in Park.
    (For some reason the small console button wouldn`t let me change out of park....)

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by GregorC1960 View Post
    OK...I need the straight up honest-to-g** truth here...DO I NEED TO REMOVE ALL OF THE SHIFTER HARDWARE ETC to replace my Jalousie...or can I "snip" and slide in with little effort or potential issues???? All suggestions - thanks in advance! Any historical success with either methods? Speak to me before I rip 'er apart!
    [FONT=Verdana]I finally replaced that crappy broken jalousie two days ago. Not that bad of a job. Just had to be careful and patient when removing the rubber trim and selector cover. They just snap in but need some finess to remove. But first I also removed the selector. Get Frank's WIS instructions for removing the gear selector (G[FONT=Verdana]et these instructions[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]in addition to what Frank to linked to on this thread[/FONT]) and pics from fixmysaab.com/9-5_repair/lights/center_console.asp?nsteps=1 A novice like me was able to handle it like a pro. Although at one point I thought how am I going to get through this without something going wrong. Only tools needed is a hex key (I think it was 2.5mm) to remove the small hex screw on the selector, a small jewel type screw driver (you can get a set cheap at radio shack) to pry the U shaped clip off the selector lever once you remove the front plastic half, and a larger screw driver to pry little by little to work out tabs while lifting on the selector cover. I also replaced the light bulb. I had to use a needle nose pliers and carefully remove the bulb. I was afraid I was going to break the bulb and have glass get into my eyes. I should have worn my goggles just in case. The bulb was a standard instrument panel type bulb but it was 12v 3w. I replaced it with the closes that I could find at the local auto parts store 14v 2.7w.

The only trouble I had was re-installing the hex screw when putting the selector back together until I noticed the hole in the metal channel. The screw has to go through front part plastic half of the selector (front cover) through the hole in the metal channel and into the leather back half of the gear selector. It wasn't that difficult. And the wires from the sport button run between the back of the metal channel and the leather back half of the gear selector. Don't lose the hex screw or U shaped clip down in the selector box.[/FONT]

Christopher
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
    I just replaced my jalousie, and I wish I would have started with this thread. With my manual in hand I figured it would be "easy".

Name:  IMG_2571.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  34.7 KB

There is nothing in my manual about how to get the shift knob off and I wasted many minutes and a few brain cells trying to figure it out.
    That little T10 screw is the key to it all.

Name:  IMG_2581a.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  41.6 KB

Remove the little c-clip to get the reverse lockout knob thingy off...

Name:  IMG_2579.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2577.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  33.9 KB

..and don't drop that little c-clip into the open console...trust me....don't do it. Be careful with the wires to the Sport mode switch. Make sure that they are routed correctly; take your time. I almost broke the terminals getting mine back together.

Name:  IMG_2582.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  35.6 KB

All done!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab(s)
    1991 900T, 2003 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Thank you to everyone who ventured down this path before me and shared their experiences and pictures. It gave me the motivation to finally change my broken jalousie. After loosening the tabs on the indication display cover, I still couldn't lift it up by more than 1/2 inch because it seemed the winter mode button was holding the cover in place. I couldn't even lift the display cover enough to peek under it to see what was holding it in place. After prying gently for a while the cover miraculously freed itself and I realized there are three wires connected to the back of the winter mode button via slide-on connectors. There was absolutely no slack in the wires going to the winter mode button, but somehow I must have pulled the cover at exactly the right angle so that the slide-on connectors pulled free. Reassembly wasn't a big deal as fortunately I remembered a post on a related thread about cutting the tie strap securing the winter mode button wires to get more slack. Just follow all the directions and hints on this thread - they're 100% correct. From start to finish it took me about 3 hours. A word of caution, I had the cabin lights on the whole time as I was doing this in my garage . . . if you have an older battery as I do, beware that you don't drain your battery. Guess what I had to do after I reassembled everything.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    HELLO GNUGEN. HOW DID YOU DISCONNECT THE W BUTTON?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    Hello Aries. Where is the link with the w button tip?

Saab(s)
    1991 900T, 2003 9-5 Arc Wagon

"W" button

Quote Originally Posted by Regiomontano View Post
    Hello Aries. Where is the link with the w button tip?
    It was just a reference in passing to the wires going to the W button in a Oct 7 2014 post by Scott.Steinberg.18 in this thread: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-ge...matic-wis-667/

Also another site has a picture of the W button. I didn't find this other site until after I was finished but it might be helpful - the W button supposedly just pops out when pried with a small screwdriver: FixMySaab: 9-5 Interior Lights - Center Console

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    Thanks Aries. At the end I didn't had to unplug the W button

Saab(s)
    2002 9.5 linerar sportwagon, 2008 9.3 linerar sortwagon
    As usual anything that takes you guys five minutes becomes a complication to me. In removing the screw in the selector lever casing, I find my normal torx bits are too large to fit between the moveable lever and the casing. Can anyone tell me the torx number needed so I can go out and get a torx screwdriver that will fit in that space. It seems I'll only get one shot at this and I don't want to bugger up the head in which case I'll never be able to disassemble the stalk. Thanking you all in advance. Frank Wittosch

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    Sorry, I can't help you with that, what I did use was the torx in my swiss army knife that fitted perfectly. Don't know the torx number