Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Saab(s)
    2002 9.5 linerar sportwagon, 2008 9.3 linerar sortwagon

Fitting Selector Shift lever on 9-5 auto

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wittosch View Post
    As usual anything that takes you guys five minutes becomes a complication to me. In removing the screw in the selector lever casing, I find my normal torx bits are too large to fit between the moveable lever and the casing. Can anyone tell me the torx number needed so I can go out and get a torx screwdriver that will fit in that space. It seems I'll only get one shot at this and I don't want to bugger up the head in which case I'll never be able to disassemble the stalk. Thanking you all in advance. Frank Wittosch
    I found the TORX head I needed at Home Depot. It comes in a unit like L hex keys but with torx ends. Its long enough and slim enough to do the job.

However now that I've replaced the Jalouse I am having trouble re assembling the selector unit. A small "L shaped plastic thingy" which I believe is the technical term, fell out of the bottom of the selector lever. I cannot figure out what its for, nor can I fathom how its connected to either piece of the lever cover, or the lever itself. Any ideas??

Frank

Saab(s)
    saab 9-5 aero
    I got a probleme after changing the jalousie. The transmission trouble light get on immediatly after changing the jalousie...Never drive the car so I don't understand what I could get wrong. Any one have this probleme or the solution??

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    I got a longer T10 Torx at Home Depot, but as I was dis-assembling the shifter and lock button, the 'L' shaped piece that Frank (above) had issue with, appears to have broken off (old plastic doesn't have the tensile strength as a new part). Rather than try to superglue a functional part, let alone not knowing where it broke off, I put the assembly back together without it. The only real issue seems to be having to manually lowering the lock button, to pull the key out of the ignition. If anyone knows which piece (lock button, front or rear shifter halves) this 'L' clip is a part of, I may see if I can buy a new one. I say may because the torx screw seemed to be cutting new threads as I re-inserted it - I don't know if the rest of old pieces can take another dis/re-assembly
    The thin film lit display of the gear selection also snapped at the bottom. I superglued that back together.

Somebody asked if it would be easier to just snip the rubber jalousie and slide it in place. In retrospect and considering the brittleness of the other pieces, I would definitely recommend that route.

Still, what component did the 'L' clip come from? Witness marks on the 'L' piece seems to be characteristic of a fracture, but I couldn't see any fracture witness marks on the other components?!?

Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero Aut sedan 06
    My "lit film" got broken over the years and that little part has disappeared somewhere down the gear assembly. First I have tried to change the direction/orientation of the film as I've taught that it would work, well it doesn't. So I've ended with placing a thin tape/plastic sheet as to replace the missing end and to steer the film in the opening at the rear (film has to bend down there).
    It works, it moves, pictograms are lit properly and I may pet myself :-)

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    My "lit film" got broken over the years and that little part has disappeared somewhere down the gear assembly. First I have tried to change the direction/orientation of the film as I've taught that it would work, well it doesn't. So I've ended with placing a thin tape/plastic sheet as to replace the missing end and to steer the film in the opening at the rear (film has to bend down there).
    It works, it moves, pictograms are lit properly and I may pet myself :-)
    Good job Hanz. I was lucky to have the film break in my hand so I was able to recover the broken end. The film definitely needs to be the full length.
    I have since realized that the 'L' shape piece I experienced was actually a clip that broke. These plastic pieces (mechanical properties) have limitations, especially when exposed to the environment for many years. Unfortunately as cars evolve, they utilize more and more plastic resins in engine, drivetrain and suspension applications.
    Someone once told me that they would be a believer when suspension bridges are made from resin. I'm not so sure.