Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1147
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Anyone good for legal advice? Current job gave me position with pay plan contract - 2 months in they are retracting the deal and killing my income earnings. I could use legal advise before I cut my losses and get the hell out of dodge back to BMW or elsewhere....
    Off the top of my head, considerations include what's in the contract, goodwill, legal costs.

What's in the contract refers to what's in writing. Does it specify your pay? Goodwill is what one's relationship to the company is. If it is a small company with give and take or a company that you have a long career with or ahead, then cooperation both ways is indicated. Legal costs is how much money is at stake versus how much a lawyer would charge. If it is $5,000, too little is at stake for a lawyer. If it is $30,000, too little is at stake for a trial though a lawyer writing some letters might be the way to go. These figures are rough estimates only.

Most states are "at will" states, which means one can be fired for any reason except a few illegal reasons, such as because of gender discrimination or religion. A sales representative that has become too fat and, in the opinion of the company, too unattractive for a sales person can be legally fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    One 0 too many. But yeah, $50K is still better than $10K. Maybe in 5 years, Apple stock will be $1000 or $300 a share. It's a crap shoot, really.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock To Hit $1,000 In 2013: Analyst
    My guess: Last trading day of 2013 or around 12/31/2013: AAPL $563
    My guess: Apple is not junk and not a $300 stock. On the other hand, Apple is somewhat of a fad. $1000 would mean it doubles in a year. Bottom line for me if that if one selects stocks, they should have 15-50 stocks, probably around 25-30. Apple shouldn't be more than 3% of one's savings.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Pay plan shows the break down of my pay gauranteed and states that I have a 2 year garantee @ that rate and package. Also state my vacation time. It is for a substantial pay grade level and now without that I am making nothing unless there IS work - which there is not (at this current time). It's on the company letter head. It had the hiring manager's name on it from his email with the company. And yes - very large company.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I got a game piece when buying a tube of sealant at Autozone. After entering the number in the website, looks like I won! The last time I won something was about 15 years ago when I won a plastic cup. According to the fine print, there are 1,000 winners out of 1,175,000. Winning with odds of 1,175 is good!
    I won, again! Earlier this month, I won another Autozone $10 gift card! This time, I won a "I love FD" t-shirt, one of 18 prizes. However, those 18 prizes were awarded based on the best suggestions so it wasn't a game of chance. The contest was to submit suggestions for car blogger, Cheryl Tay, of cheryl-tay.com. She blogs on the Singapore car scene, drifting (racing where one intentionally skids), etc. She makes a living from writing articles for the local press and for Yahoo autos.

--

EDIT: I just received the Autozone prize!

Last edited by Dave T; 23 January 2013 at 00:57.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)

Look at a Kia, get $25

2013 KIA TEST-DRIVE

The first 10,000 people to submit this form online can print a certificate that needs a signature at a Kia dealer. Test drive a Kia in the U.S. and get a $25 Visa gift card.

Which one to look at? Kia Optima? Kia Soul?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    Went to test drive a Yaris Hybrid recently, and eventually ended up trading in our Peugeot 207.
    Hybrid tech, 5 year warranty and a fairly good deal was too tempting.
    Keeping the Saab as a number 2 and out of town car, but for the future we need to see if 2 cars are really necessary.

I really want a motorbike, but still the danger aspect is stopping me. Have not given up the thought yet.

That was my update.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Just some updates with my Saab:

I took off the window tint. Although I liked the way it looked (I had them tinted six years ago), I couldn't afford another ticket. I've already received two tickets for the dark windows that are against NYS's laws, and I had been pulled over several weeks ago and given warning. So, to me, it wasn't worth it any more. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture decent before picture.
    Name:  WP_20121125_001.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  50.8 KB
    Far side is taken off.
    Name:  WP_20121125_002.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  51.1 KB
    All done! I left the tint on the back window and the rear quarter windows. Didn't want to risk cutting a defrost line, or having adhesive left on the window.
    Name:  WP_20121125_004.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  52.8 KB

Now we've all heard of the paint coming off the Saab emblem, but this is a first for me:
    Name:  WP_20130104_001.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  38.9 KB
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Dave T.
    Saab(s)

When things break, it may be poor design or a design flaw

Some car problems seem to happen to everyone with the particular car. I think there's probably a systematic study of part failures. Maybe it's similar to former Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld's classification of known unknowns, unknown unknowns, etc.

A known unknown is if you don't know how many tanks the enemy has. An unknown unknown is when you didn't even consider or realize that the enemy country may have a time travel weapon.

With classic Saab 900's, the headliner often sags. Maybe that is because the glue degrades consistently over time. It's not just a bad batch of glue but the glue doesn't have the capability.

This article prompted me to write the above. Recall: 570 000 BMW models for power failures - MSN Autos

BMW is recalling 570,000 cars in North America for power failures and engine stalling, according to filings with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The battery cable supplying power to the fuse box has a terminal that can wear out over time, particularly due to road vibrations, BMW said. ...If the battery-cable terminal wears out, "variations in electrical resistance" could occur, which could cause the instrument panel to flicker or the engine to cut power. At worst, the engine could stall completely while driving, or if parked, may not start. ....BMW said it received two U.S. reports of "no-start" problems during July 2010 and additional problems through 2011, when the company switched its terminal coatings from tin to silver to better handle electrical heat.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    My Pinto among others had a problem with one of the main electrical terminals and when it shorted, it would travel along the chassis and then weld the clutch cable to the frame. When I told my buddy that my clutch would not budge he told me to sit tight and came over with a hammer, a chisel and a roll of tape. A few whaps to free the weld and then he taped a bit of hose over the errant cable to insulate it.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion

My SAAB story for the past weekend

My girlfriend and I took a sightseeing trip to Quebec city this past weekend. Driving back on Sunday, something about my 900 seemed ominously quiet. I know this car better than I know most people, so I had a vague idea something was up. I noticed the windshield wipers weren't running very fast, so I glanced down at my volt gauge, just to make sure everything was doing allright. Only 12 volts... No alternator light on the dash. The freeway traffic got tight as I turned off all the things that ran on electricity. Off went the radio. I threw aside my iPod charger. I set the ventilation dial to "0". No wipers allowed. I revved the engine to 4000rpm to see if that helped. Still only 12 volts, no alternator light. Fog and salt cut away at my visibility. I began to contemplate the horror that would befall me if I could not fix it or needed a part. I would have to pay someone to touch my car. I would have to pay money for someone to do something I did not want done. And it would be high Canadian prices, with a mechanic who knew he had a captive customer. The sky was the limit. World's first $1000 alternator fix? Why not? The fate of a fellow Vermonter whose NG900 fuel pump failed in Medford MA flashed before my eyes (paid $1100 for a "fuel pump" to be epoxied into his fuel lines, with numerous leaks and other repercussions). I gritted my teeth and began to merge right.

Because of traffic, I was barely able to get off the freeway at the only small-road exit in sight, and I pulled into a Shell station, the only nearby establishment open on Sunday. I opened the hood to see, to my immense relief, that the field wire to the alternator had fatigue-broken due to vibration (I had recently replaced a bad set of urethane alternator bushings, the root of the vibration issue). I had my crimping pliers and electrics tool box with me, so (with engine running--I dared not stop it for fear it might not have the juice to start again, which would force me to ask for a jump in French) I stripped casing off of the wire, added a female blade terminal to the field wire, and plugged it in. The engine almost stopped from the load, everything seemed to hold its breath for a split second, followed by an irresistible quickening of pace as the engine chugged up like a steam train from near-stop under the idle valve's compensation. The voltage climbed to 12.5, 13, 14! I had saved myself. I checked the gear oil, the coolant, and the brake fluid, and then drove home.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euromobile900 View Post
    I would have to pay money for someone to do something I did not want done. And it would be high Canadian prices, with a mechanic who knew he had a captive customer. The sky was the limit. World's first $1000 alternator fix? Why not?

I had my crimping pliers and electrics tool box with me, so (with engine running--I dared not stop it for fear it might not have the juice to start again, which would force me to ask for a jump in French) I stripped casing off of the wire,
    Bravo! You won!

Seriously, how does one ask in French? I know very little French. Perhaps, Golfhunter or others might know?

J'ai un câble a booster, câble d'appoint. J'ai besoin de "jump start". Pouvez-vous m'aider? (making a clamping gesture with hands)

or

J'ai ne pas $1 000 pour l'alternateur. (weeping)