Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What do they do? Getting air inside the car? It would be cool to have one on each side.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    They came around before air-conditioning. Basically it cools the air by using latent cooling of vaporization. So... the tube has a water reservoir, and in the water sits a towel like thing that can spin. So, air goes into the tube when the car is moving, and the air flows over the wet "towel", cooling the air, which is then directed into the car. When the towel drys off, you pull a cord, and it cycles it into the water to get it wet again. Because it works this way, it works best in dry areas. While not perfect, it is effective in keeping the car at a decent temperature apparently. Also, if you want one to go on the LHS of the car, be prepared to shell out big bucks (upwards of $800) as they are very, very rare.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    New 2011 Dodge Charger. Am I the only one still confused on why they would revive the name of a 2 door muscle car, and bring it back as a four door sedan. I've kinda liked the Charger, but still... I didn't see the reason in bringing the name back. I do like the back of this new Charger though... much more like the old one.

Should have been more like this though...

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I have a friend who lives in the high semiarid land of the Entiat Valley in eastern Washington, who cools his house with a swamp cooler. It consists of a metal frame full of wood shavings, which wicks water up from a tub in his attic. A big, slow-moving impeller pushes air through it, down through ducts to the inside of his house, keeping it nice, cool, and damp in the 100º heat. I looked into getting/making a swamp cooler for my c900, but found that it would likewise be too expensive and not work in much of the country due to excess humidity.

A different approach, which is likewise impractical, is to use an absorption cooler (like a natural-gas refrigerator) that operates using the heat of the exhaust. Nobody's ever made one, and for good reason: it's most effective when the exhaust is hottest--while running at speed. When stopped and idling (and sweating) the cool exhaust doesn't provide enough heat to adequately cool the cabin. I got really excited when I had that idea, but a quick google turned up some depressing BTU figures.

The big thing that depresses me about the new dodge Charger is that I have to learn a new police car silhouette. I'd give anything for the good old days when all I had to look out for was the Crown Vic.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    They came around before air-conditioning. Basically it cools the air by using latent cooling of vaporization. So... the tube has a water reservoir, and in the water sits a towel like thing that can spin. So, air goes into the tube when the car is moving, and the air flows over the wet "towel", cooling the air, which is then directed into the car. When the towel drys off, you pull a cord, and it cycles it into the water to get it wet again. Because it works this way, it works best in dry areas. While not perfect, it is effective in keeping the car at a decent temperature apparently. Also, if you want one to go on the LHS of the car, be prepared to shell out big bucks (upwards of $800) as they are very, very rare.
    We have swamp cooling, better known here as evaporative air cooling, ducted through our house.

It's brilliant for a hot dry climate like ours: makes the house as cool as we want it, more pleasant to be in than air conditioning, and you don't have to seal doors and windows.

Even better, it cost less to install and is much cheaper to run. I'm surprised anyone would aircondition the house here but I guess it is perceived as "the best". All those expensive ad campaigns no doubt help there.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I received this little notebook (5.5" x 3.5") from Saab a few weeks ago. It's a nice gesture but I don't know what to use it for. My diary? Notes about my 9-5? Random thoughts? I have no idea!

Name:  P1100108.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  59.9 KBName:  P1100109.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  49.7 KB

http://www.moleskine.com/moleskine_w..._moleskine.php

Moleskine® notebook is the heir and successor to the legendary notebook used by artists and thinkers over the past two centuries: among them Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and Bruce Chatwin. A simple black rectangle with rounded corners, an elastic page-holder, and an internal expandable pocket: a nameless object with a spare perfection all its own, produced for over a century by a small French bookbinder that supplied the stationery shops of Paris, where the artistic and literary avant-gardes of the world browsed and bought them. A trusted and handy travel companion, the notebook held invaluable sketches, notes, stories, and ideas that would one day become famous paintings or the pages of beloved books.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 07 November 2010 at 04:37.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6

Thumbs up

you can use as a daily notes and follow up for your car service:
    -maintenance
    -MPG

many notebooks applications software in cell phones, laptops, pc... not used.....

as a Saab gift for maintenance service remembering notes.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    As a fan of all the classic Clint Eastwood films, I can't help but enjoy these short music videos:
    http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/200...test-hits.html
    I think they are especially if you've seen the movies they correspond to.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I felt like cheating today.. She was the same age as my current partner but totally different. She had this fresh smell and her soft leather skin was hugging my body with an unfamiliar but exciting feel. I know it was wrong but exciting at the same time.

I wanted to take her home but my mind said no.. After I got back with the old lady, I knew all was good but I can't stop thinking of the other one...

The girl in question is a 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro with 85K miles, offered for $14.5K at the Audi dealer. I love my 9-5 but these are nice..! If I wasn't a Saab fan, I think I would be driving an Audi. The same dealer also had a 5-series and E-Class on the lot but they just didn't do it for me.

Name:  WAUDG74F45N101490-6s.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  WAUDG74F45N101490-2s.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  64.4 KB

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I finally selected Mechanical Engineering as my major. Only problem in waiting so long (three semesters in almost) is now I'm going to have to take one summer course this summer because it is a prerequisite for many other courses I'll eventually have to take... if I wait to take it next year, I'd graduate a semester late, which is something I cannot afford to do. Now back to all this school work.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig