Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 47 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I don't want to look at bear poo all day..! You added the Michigan part, didn't you...

I read about yelling "Hey bear" every minute when hiking in bear country. It's just that you feel so vulnerable in a tent with a tiny layer of fabric between you and nature. I was pretty impressed when I came in close contact with some wild bears at the Chapleau preserve. They may not look big but their claws were pretty impressive.

This fella was observing me when I was taking a break from riding the motorcycle. "Hmmmm, look at that tasty lunch all the way from Michigan."

Frank
    Saab(s)
    $36.50 per night for a camp site at a Provincial Park in Canada. I thought camping is supposed to be inexpensive! And when was the Canadian dollar worth more than the US dollar? It's expensive to visit Canada.

Maybe I'll just wild camp..

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    $36.50 to set up a tent for the night? That's highway robbery. I can stay at a Motel 6 for $32.

Of course the campsite would be cleaner than the Motel 6.

Think about this. Bears are smart, they know that hanging out at the parks near camp sites will usually provide some food. I'd camp wild.

Funny, I got that same email about camping in Canada with advice on how to scare bears off, only they said "visitors from Ohio", not Michigan.

I'm not sure thats "advice"...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I actually stayed in a Doubletree hotel (4 stars) for $35 a night last weekend. Priceline name-your-own-price rocks! Maybe I should stay in the good ole USA and Priceline through the trip.

I enjoy camping if the weather cooperates, no bugs, no noisy neighbours and clean showers with no wait but I mainly do it because it's cheap. Well, it used to be cheap. Michigan State campgrounds are a pretty good value at about $20. National forest campgrounds are pretty inexpensive and usually very nice as well but they often don't have any showers or bathroom facilities. Can't beat it at $14 a night though.

Perhaps the $36.50 for the campsite includes tent set up, turn down service and complimentary breakfast with pancakes, Canadian maple syrup and Canadian bacon cooked at your campsite?

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

Perhaps the $36.50 for the campsite includes tent set up, turn down service and complimentary breakfast with pancakes, Canadian maple syrup and Canadian bacon cooked at your campsite?
    All done by a Mountie!

I'd love to travel in Canada and one of my "bucket list" things is to drive to Alaska.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    $36.50 to set up a tent for the night? That's highway robbery. I can stay at a Motel 6 for $32.

Of course the campsite would be cleaner than the Motel 6.
    But the overnight parties at Motel 6 would be wilder ..... as are their attendees.

Hell, I recall staying at Motel 8 in various parts of Nevada and Calif for $25/night (two queen beds). Oh right, that was 1992. I guess adjusted for an average of 2%/annum inflation that $25 would now cost $36.42
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab(s)
    All done by a Mountie!
    For $36.50 Wulf gets this occifer:

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    But the overnight parties at Motel 6 would be wilder ..... as are their attendees.

Hell, I recall staying at Motel 8 in various parts of Nevada and Calif for $25/night (two queen beds). Oh right, that was 1992. I guess adjusted for an average of 2%/annum inflation that $25 would now cost $36.42
    Sadly, I used to like Motel 6's. They were clean and affordable and they were everywhere. That was when they were a privately owned company. They styed nice when they became part of the Accor Hotel group. In recent years something has happened and some appear to be independently owned and the quality, service and cleanliness all went down hill.

The last two times I stayed at a Motel 6, once in Dallas and once in Cleveland, TN, were bad experiences. The one in Dallas had an advertised rate of $32.99, but was told by the middle eastern gentleman behind the desk that they didn't have any rooms at that rate. The only rooms available were almost $50. When I got to the room, it was nasty. Smelling of cigarettes(I'm a smoker, but I generally ask for non-smoking rooms.), beer and the bathroom smelled like piss. I slept with my clothes on.

The place in TN was just as bad as the one in TX, only there was an envelope on the table that read "Tips :-)"

Needless to say, I didn't leave a tip.

I'm pretty much at the point that I won't stay at anyplace but a Holiday Inn or HI Express. I stayed at a HI Express in Atlanta and the only thing I could complain about was that the pot for the coffee maker was dirty. No big deal, I washed it. I said something to the manager and he asked for my address. About a month later I got a letter from the corporate office apologizing along with a check for the amount of the room.

Saab(s)
    Sadly, I used to like Motel 6's. They were clean and affordable and they were everywhere. That was when they were a privately owned company. They styed nice when they became part of the Accor Hotel group. In recent years something has happened and some appear to be independently owned and the quality, service and cleanliness all went down hill.

The last two times I stayed at a Motel 6, once in Dallas and once in Cleveland, TN, were bad experiences. The one in Dallas had an advertised rate of $32.99, but was told by the middle eastern gentleman behind the desk that they didn't have any rooms at that rate. The only rooms available were almost $50. When I got to the room, it was nasty. Smelling of cigarettes(I'm a smoker, but I generally ask for non-smoking rooms.), beer and the bathroom smelled like piss. I slept with my clothes on.

The place in TN was just as bad as the one in TX, only there was an envelope on the table that read "Tips :-)"

Needless to say, I didn't leave a tip.

I'm pretty much at the point that I won't stay at anyplace but a Holiday Inn or HI Express. I stayed at a HI Express in Atlanta and the only thing I could complain about was that the pot for the coffee maker was dirty. No big deal, I washed it. I said something to the manager and he asked for my address. About a month later I got a letter from the corporate office apologizing along with a check for the amount of the room.
    Don't let the perceptions fool ya. Some of the best sleeps I've had were at HI's. Usually US$25 or less/night It's been awhile, though, since we last hostel'd. Everytime we went I was tempted to go buy meself a POS Westfalia

Most memorable one (to date) was @ Pt. Montara:

Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel - Photo Gallery

Speaking of hostelling, I need to take my son down to Vashon Isld's AYH. to camp in the teepees.
    Last edited by SaabKen; 27 June 2011 at 23:29.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Sleep Inn seems to be ok. Drury Inn, a regional chain with hotels between San Antonio, St. Louis, and Atlanta is nice but it's not cheap. They offer free evening snacks, like chicken wings and hot dogs, which is enough to be dinner.

About that camping trip to Ontario, crossing the border into Canada always makes me nervous. "So you're going on a camping trip... likely story...(with sarcasm)". Coming back to the U.S. is never threatening. On the other hand, by air, it's just the opposite. Arriving in another country is no sweat but coming back to the U.S., they say "...and you have nothing to declare....a likely story".