Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Thumbs Up:   31
    I was thinking about what my thoughts on my car and previous cars were. Some had some emotional attachment, some not.

My first car was a clunker, a family hand-me-down. I didn't like it. It was big and ugly and overheated. If one could hate a car, this was it. I didn't exactly hate it but I didn't like it. However, it was free!

The next car was a Saab 900. It stalled after cold starts. It made me apologize for the car several times. After many trips to the dealer, it was finally fixed. They initially blamed bad gas and cleaned the injectors, which improved the problem only for a short time. They fixed the warm up regulator which solved the problem permanently.

Later, I had another 900. That was very nice and was kept 13 years. It was like a buddy to me that was fun but didn't speak. A little footnote, I did have another 900 for a year but the 1990 was so much of an improvement over a 1989 that I kept the second Saab for only a year before getting Saab number 3.

When it was hit by a truck, the replacement was an old Lincoln Town Car that I bought the next day from an elderly man. That was just a commodity and lasted 6 months until I could sell it. I bought it because I needed to buy a car right away.

Later, it was time to get rid of the Lincoln. There was no Saab dealer within a few hours drive but I was planning to move in 2 years so I accepted a used car from my father. That car was an old E-class Mercedes, much like Frank's Mercedes, except not a wagen. I was nice but a little neglected. I revived it a bit but didn't fix everything.

I like my current 9-3 just as much as the 900 that I had for over a decade. It serves me well and brings a smile often. In return, everything is done, nothing neglected. Windshield wipers streak? Immediate wiper replacement. Little gap in the trim....fixed. It's been very reliable with no paid repairs and minimal costs/minor adjustments. The first paid repair, rear brakes, is upcoming soon but it could be classified as either repair or expected wear. (I deem a new water pump as definitely a repair) The car is like a pal, except doesn't talk.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Dave T; 07 November 2011 at 20:57.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Thumbs Up:   1
    So this came up as a suggestion on Amazon... they are finally getting to know me a tiny bit other than all the text books I buy.

Amazon.com: Men's Cooking: A No-Nonsense Guide to Buying, Cooking and Eating Great Food (Owner's Kitchen Manual) (9781844258697): Chris Maillard: Books

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    So this came up as a suggestion on Amazon... they are finally getting to know me a tiny bit other than all the text books I buy.

Amazon.com: Men's Cooking: A No-Nonsense Guide to Buying, Cooking and Eating Great Food (Owner's Kitchen Manual) (9781844258697): Chris Maillard: Books
    Bah ! You want a Chilton's "The Gourmand's Complete Kitchen Reference Guide"

0 Not allowed!
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Some car salesmen...

We drove an hour and a half to go look at a 2008 9-5 today and got the dealership about 20 minutes before they closed. When we pulled in, we talked to one
    one guy there and got a pretty awful vibe from him. It was a stretch to get him to go get key to it. After telling him we drove as long as we did he was like "well, yeah, we stopped doing test drives 10 minutes ago, there's nothing I can do tonight, you'll have come back some other time." Now, I can understand if we drove 10 minutes to get there, but we didn't. We were clearly VERY interested in the car and he ran us out. Not cool.

I have been to many other dealerships that were more than happy to stay after closing to let me look at car. Our truck, our Suburban, the '09 we looked at a couple weeks back are a few examples. If you want to sell cars, you accommodate the prospective buyer.
    /rant

On the plus side, we did get to start the car (and it was cold) and it started and sounded fantastic. We're still looking into the car, but when they call back, we're requesting not to deal with this guy.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by J-Rod; 13 November 2011 at 02:04.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    You know you're from Michigan if:

1. "Vacation" means going up north on I-75.
    2. You measure distance in hours.
    3. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.
    4. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
    5. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.
    6. You see people wearing camouflage at social events (including weddings).
    7. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
    8. You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.
    9. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
    10. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
    11. You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.
    12. You can identify a southern or eastern accent.
    13. Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your blue spruce.
    14. You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age.
    15. Down South to you means Ohio.
    16. A brat is something you eat.
    17. Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new pole barn.
    18. You go out to fish fry every Friday.
    19. Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.
    20. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
    21. You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."
    22. You drink pop and bake with soda.
    23. Your doctor tells you to drink Vernors and you know it's not medicine.
    24. You can actually drink Vernors without coughing
    25. You know what a Yooper is.
    26. You think owning a Honda is Un-American.
    27. You know that UP is a place, not a direction.
    28. You know it's possible to live in a thumb.
    29. You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your Michigan friends.

0 Not allowed!

Jared
    Saab(s)
    Pretty much Indiana too

0 Not allowed!

Jared
    Saab(s)
    In other news....I now understand why people buy Escalades. I drove my uncle's tonight and it was a really nice car to drive! Not a rattle inside (2008 with 50k miles) and I mean not a single rattle. Less rattles and quieter than his previous MB S430. It's super powerful (400 horses), the smoothest thing I've driven, and the steering was really tight for a large SUV. Plus jet black with illegal tint makes it look freaking sweet. And, yes, I did get people flashing their headlights at me for thinking my highbeams were on....

He's planning on trading his SLK for a brand new Chrysler 300 SRT8 soon. Kind of can't wait for that....

0 Not allowed!

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    GM has always done it's luxury full size SUV's right. Horrible gas mileage(and my utter contempt for GM) aside, the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon are damn nice vehicles.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I think the original SUV as we know it was the Jeep Wagoneer. It was not plush but was not Spartan like the Willys and Rovers that preceded it. It was huge, had soft cushy seats and a nice AC that would make ice. My 1977 got something like 8 to 11 mpg when towing a boat. And it had a magic to it. I let the brakes freeze on a fairly new Saab 900 since I would walk past the Saab and take that barn red monster. I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could find a low mile example. Or is you first AWD like your first ...

0 Not allowed!
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    I think the original SUV as we know it was the Jeep Wagoneer. It was not plush but was not Spartan like the Willys and Rovers that preceded it. It was huge, had soft cushy seats and a nice AC that would make ice. My 1977 got something like 8 to 11 mpg when towing a boat. And it had a magic to it. I let the brakes freeze on a fairly new Saab 900 since I would walk past the Saab and take that barn red monster. I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could find a low mile example. Or is you first AWD like your first ...
    My dad bought a new Cherokee in 78, when we moved to Indiana, for towing our boat. Big, gas-sucking 360 and a 4spd with Levi's denim interior. It was very cool, at least I remember it being cool. It looked good with it's slotted aluminum wheels, metallic blue paint and the red Levi's tag. Dad put foglights on it, and put in a couple of electric cooling fans in it. The rocker panels started to rot within the first 6 years and my dad wasn't real good with the Bondo, so they were fixed, but wavy. The transmission was it's strong point. 1st gear was a granny gear and in 4-wheel low that thing would pull a house. In 17 years it had less than 120K miles on it, but it was 120k on the original clutch! He sold it for $1000 when he sold the farm in Indiana.

I had it up to 100mph. Once. It was like a jet engine attached to a boxcar.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.