Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    How the Russians deal with Somali pirates.

It's all in Russian, with a few English words thrown in, but it's pretty self explanatory. The pirates seized a Russian ship, the Russia Navy retook the vessel, captured the pirates, put them back on their own pirate ship, handcuffed, and blew it up.

Russia, F$%K YEAH!!!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    The pirates seized a Russian ship, the Russia Navy retook the vessel, captured the pirates, put them back on their own pirate ship, handcuffed, and blew it up.

Can they do that ? This is likely in international waters, but there's still gotta be some basic rules of engagement or Geneva Convention rights or whatever that the pirates have.

Ivan: "Hey Yuri, isn't that your Dad's AK-47 that he used in Afghanistan ??"

Yuri: "Hell yeah ! Wow, it must have gone through Craigslist a dozen times since then !"
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium, 6 spd manual
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoliSaabo View Post
    Or, most of the sprinkler heads have adjustable spray direction.
    However they need a special tool for adjusting it.
    You might want to check the sprinkler head and see if it lets you do it.
    Here is a quick how to (and a lot more on youtube)
    Interesting.

I have no idea what brand/model is installed in our neighborhood. I'll have to take a look. The sneaky buggers retract back into the ground when they are not on, so they are tough to spot :p

Saab(s)
    How the Russians deal with Somali pirates.

It's all in Russian, with a few English words thrown in, but it's pretty self explanatory. The pirates seized a Russian ship, the Russia Navy retook the vessel, captured the pirates, put them back on their own pirate ship, handcuffed, and blew it up.

Russia, F$%K YEAH!!!

Ugh.. Unless you for some reason like real life blood and gore, or have a strange attraction to snuff films, I wouldn't watch that linked video.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Can they do that ?
    The Russians do what they want. In the 1980's, several American were held as hostages in Lebanon. Four Russians were, too. The Russians were released.

Excerpt from the Houston Chronicle: KGB castrated leader's relative to win envoys' release - report 01/07/1986 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

TEL AVIV, Israel - The KGB won the release of three kidnapped Soviet diplomats in Beirut by sending a key Moslem fundamentalist leader the severed testicles of an abducted relative and threatening more such mutilations, an Israeli news report said Monday.

The three Soviet Embassy officials were released unharmed Oct. 30. The fourth had been killed two days after the four were kidnapped in Moslem West Beirut Sept. 30.
    The KGB, the Post said, kidnapped a Lebanese man, castrated him and sent the severed testicles to his relative, a key fundamentalist leader. The Soviet secret service then threatened that other family members would be dealt with in a similar fashion if the three Soviet hostages were not immediately released.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoliSaabo View Post
    Well, lets put it this way, they have taste for the good cars.
    Yeah, I don't know about you, but personally I ALWAYS take a dump on things I like :p

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Can they do that ? This is likely in international waters, but there's still gotta be some basic rules of engagement or Geneva Convention rights or whatever that the pirates have.
    The commandos sank the pirate ship along with the pirates and without any court proceedings, lawyers etc. That is, they used the anti-piracy laws of the 18th and 19th centuries where the captain of the rescuing ship has the right to decide what to do with the pirates. Usually, they were hung.

I certainly hope it sends a clear message to the other pirates out there.

Saab(s)
    The commandos sank the pirate ship along with the pirates and without any court proceedings, lawyers etc. That is, they used the anti-piracy laws of the 18th and 19th centuries where the captain of the rescuing ship has the right to decide what to do with the pirates. Usually, they were hung.

I certainly hope it sends a clear message to the other pirates out there.
    It might.. At least it ought to be more effective than our "catch and release"...

I still have to say that I am a huge fan of due process, even for scumbags like this.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I'm all for due process too. But in some cases exceptions have to be made. The Somali pirates have been getting away with murder, literally, for a long time. They prey on innocent people and too many bleeding hearts don't think that ships should be armed and able to protect themselves. Self preservation comes before due process.

Zoltan Szabo
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Interesting.

I have no idea what brand/model is installed in our neighborhood. I'll have to take a look. The sneaky buggers retract back into the ground when they are not on, so they are tough to spot :p
    You can pull them out, by hand, it will resist a bit though. The sprinkler head comes out by the water pressure, and when the water is closed, it sinks back into its tube.
    --profile under construction--