Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    I remember driving one orange DAF contraption in the early 80s (before I had a driver's license). Their variomatic let them go as fast backwards as they could go forward. The ingenious Dutch used this to organize the most bizarre races I have ever seen: Dirt track races with DAFs in reverse. And that was not enough. There is that wonderful cliché that Dutch are going everywhere with their RV trailer. And that's what they did in the their dirt track races: Hook a RV trailer at the front bumper, then race each other and try to diminish other peoples's combos. The one who got _something_ of his combo over the finish line first, was the happy winner! The Dutch really have style.

Saab(s)
    The 2CV was my very first own car (after my mom's Austin 1300). Gorgeous. If there is any slow food movement in car, that would be it. Would drive it again any day. Cheapest convertible ever (I paid about §30 for mine).
    Had a chance to drive a Trabant shortly when the wall came down, on the island of Rügen, in early spring 1990. And promptly stalled, since I didn't knwo that these two-strokes had a handel to put their fuel tank in reserve mode. Good riddance. Also called "racing cardboard" or "racing roll", since their bodies were literally baked out of old fabric and some kind of plastic. At least they didn't rust.

Saab(s)
    Ok, no photos right now, but I guess my list of (consecutively owned) cars I owned is odd enough to be enjoyed:
    1972 Austin 1300, in "Fawlty Towers red". Built like a tank. Did my first valve job here, used a 850 Mini cylinder head and then tuned the thing so that I could once dust a Porsche 911 at the traffic lights.
    1977 Citroen 2CV6 in blue. Nearly indestructable. Nearly. Ripped off the left back wing in France, killed steering in Germany. But was a steal at about $30 and worked dutifully for years. Life is slow and enjoyable.
    1978 VW Bus, white 50 hp gas guzzler, which loved to go up in smoke _inside_ when you pushed her a bit harder. Made me too many faux friends.
    1972 Fiat 500 in bordeaux red, great car, I tuned the engine from about 95 km/h to about 140 km/h - and then accordingly the brakes and suspension. Unfortunately burned down while being welded.
    1974 Fiat 500 in metallic midnight blue, luxury edition. Rear widened, I saved the pimped engine from the first one and planted it into her. Great city car.
    1972 Mercedes Benz 200 (W115 "Strich Acht") in white with blue interior upholstery and sunroof. Cool highway ride, great shape, but terrible gas guzzler (16-19 l/100km)
    19-- VW Passat 5-door hatchback in silver. Did 190 km/h, huge, safe, a great deal. Bit boring but extremely reliable.
    19xx Lancia Autobianchi A112 Elite. Yep, fun. Lightweight, simple to fix, you could drift in full control over all four wheels. Tuned eninge, not quite the Abarth, but close.
    1975 Honda CB 350 F. A cutie. Smallest four cylinder bike I could imagine. 4-in-4 exhaust system. Cute. Cute. Cute. Just 34 hp though. Died nastily at 140 km/h on the highway with a broken camshaft chain.
    19XX Golf I Diesel with roof spoiler - called La Grotta, since I used it in Italy and it rained inside and moss grew everywhere. Cheap ride to get around in Umbria.
    (1988 VW Golf II - ok, fuggetaboutit, this was just boring, but at least quite fast)
    1982 Yamaha XJ 750, a four cylinder row engine sport tourer, good for 230 km/h on cardanic transmission. Loved it.
    1989 BMW 325i in salmon silver, 4 door, sunroof, M edition suspension. Hot. Hot. Hot. Fast (230 km/h). Glued to the tarmac. Looked totally tame. Loved it and gave it up only to move to New York.
    2003 Saab 2.3t Linear Wagon. Still quite new, but it grows on me...

Saab(s)
    I'd take the Déesse in a snap!