Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuttiface View Post
    do you really think the short shift kit would work? I've also thought about it and perhaps doing the trans mount at the same time...not sure if it addresses the problem though
    Tuttiface I just installed the short shifter yesterday. I followed the directions on the site that shall not be named on this site. (SAAB Central). Was not that easy, and I am glad it is done.

Love the new short shifter! The throws are allot shorter, gears 1-5 are smooth and quick. Getting into reverse is more dificult than with the previous shifter, but I have a feeling getting into reverse will get easier as the reverse plastic bit gets worn down by the detent, and clears it better. I may shave the bottom off a little to make it smoother. I can deal with reverse the way it is though. The wife I bet will have a bit of a time with it.

I highly recommend getting the new shifter. The new shifter transforms the feel of the car tremendously. I was skeptical as to how much it could affect the feel, but my 9-5 feels more like my wife's 9-3 now, even better. Does the new shifter cure all of the Notchy shifting? No, but the short shifter and transmount make a vast improvement.

One note. I was advised to add sound deadening material to the bottom of the shifter because it is loud when shifter slaps against bottom ring. I did it and it sounds nice and muted, and not clunky.

I also got rid of the Reverse Key Lock functionality. The car now feels right. I always back in to my parking spot, just a habit from the service, so I love not having to have it in reverse.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions.
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    Thanks for the write up! It has been on my mind and is def' planned for the future. You post will move it up on the to do list.

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    I know this post is old, but hard-to-engage gears may be a sign of worn motor or subframe mounts. I think wulf said that the manual gearbox oil doesnt need changing according to the owners manual, but let me be the first to say it makes a big difference if you do. It is a PITA, but worth it.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
    I know this post is old, but hard-to-engage gears may be a sign of worn motor or subframe mounts. I think wulf said that the manual gearbox oil doesnt need changing according to the owners manual, but let me be the first to say it makes a big difference if you do. It is a PITA, but worth it.
    I hear what you are saying. I just had the 60,000 mile maintenance done on my car and they had to add a 1/2 a quart of manual transmission fluid. After that my shifitng even with the stock shifter was improved.

So with the new shifter my gears shift smooth in gears 1-5, it is just reverse that I have a problem with. If it was the fluid being an issue I think I would have a problem with all the gears as I did before my 60,000 mile check up where they topped of the fluid level. I think the engineers designed the stock gear shift to be long in order to get enough leverage to get the trans into reverse easier. Now with the new shifter I just have to pull up all the way and yank it to the side. Sometimes it slides in easy sometimes it misses. The shifiting problem with reverse seems to me due to the part that has to be lifted up.

I may have them do a flush in about 30,000 if nothing big hits then anyways. I do hear what you are saying, and I am big on keeping fluids in my car fresh.

Saab(s)
    Update...Reason for my shifting problems was due to a left front drive shaft seal needing to be replaced. I was down a whole litter since Feb. It is much better now.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    I'll have to check my level. Thanks for the update

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '07 9-5 Aero
    LEGage based on what you reported and other comments I found online I ordered the short shifter and transmount from GS. I checked for directions on installing the short shifter and only found the one for a 2005 9-5. Is it much different for the 06+ model? Also how long did it take you and if you have any tips I would appreciate it. TIA

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ba9234 View Post
    LEGage based on what you reported and other comments I found online I ordered the short shifter and transmount from GS. I checked for directions on installing the short shifter and only found the one for a 2005 9-5. Is it much different for the 06+ model? Also how long did it take you and if you have any tips I would appreciate it. TIA
    Sorry to take so long to respond. Been using my family truckster this summer. If you have not already installed it the instructions were good enough. It took me about four hours, but I was going slow and double checking everything. My tip is to be more gentle than I was with prying out the face plate, and trim pieces. I did not break anything, but if I knew where the latching tabs were to begin with it would have gone smoother. The face plate that surounds the shifter, pry it up on the side closest to the rear of the car. Next tip is I got to a point with the center console where I could just lift up towards the back seat so I did not have to disconnect one of the wires. After that I had to tip the shifter housing towards the driver's side and pull down the carpet so I could undo the one bolt. This was the toughest part, and what I had to force.This past summer I attempted to change my breaks but couldn't get the caliper mounting brackets off. The key point was I did put new break lines on, and bled the complete system including the clutch. That along with the drive shaft seal being fixed on my car have improved the smoothness of the shifting in my car. I feel like the more I use it the smoother it gets as it breaks in. The short shifter great in traffic.The last tip is getting the detent set up right. That is trial and error. To far to the right not good. Too far to the left it will be tough to get into reverse.I think I have a thought on how to stop the rattle on low rpms, but that is the only down side with this mod.Good luck let me know how it goes.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '07 9-5 Aero
    Just got the GS short shifter installed and it feels great except that its hard to shift into second and there is definitely something else wrong with my tranny. I tried looking at installing the sport trans mount also from GS but I couldnt pull the bolt out and didnt want to start loosening other bolts. I think thats going to have to wait. I am going to get a mechanic to check out if the tough shifting is from worn engine/tanny mounts.