Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi

Notchy gearbox...manual

[FONT=Tahoma]Hey everyone,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]First I'd like to say that I glad I just joined and hope to contribute as well as benefit from the knowledge and experience here.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]I am experiencing a notchy gear box. It's a 2006 9-5 Combi. First and reverse seem to be the most noticeable for me. In fact, it's sometimes difficult to put it in reverse. It hasn't gotten worse, but I was thinking about replacing the transmission fluid. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]What do you guys think? What kind of fluid does it take and how much?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The '02 calls for 1.5 litres of 0063 fully synthetic oil (I don't think they changed gearboxes, did they?)... changing it three times (usually recommended because 100% cannot be changed everytime), so you'll need about 4.5 litres, maybe some more just to be safe.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    Thanks Shazam! Do you thin it will help?

Plus, 3 times while up on the hoist (pour in, pour out x 3)? or three seperate times?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm not positive (SaabScott will know better), but I believe it is drain it, the fill it up again. And then you've got to start the car and run it in 1st gear for 30 seconds, drain, and repeat. I would think it would help, but I'm not sure.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Saab says the manual gearbox oil is supposed to last the life of the car and there is no need to change it. The WIS shows total capacity is 1.9 liters.

I used to have a 2005 9-5 with manual transmission and it seemed a bit notchy as well. I think pretty much the same as you're describing. Ithink it's just the nature of the beast as they aren't know for their perfectly smooth manuals. How many miles are on your car? I posted the Saab WIS instructions here in case you need them: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php/...hange-Saab-9-5

You normally see the "change 3 times" for the auto transmission because that one holds 7 liters and you can only change 4 liters at a time. However, I have never done it with the manual transmission so I can't comment on that. I checked and the MTF 0063 is the same requirement for 2006.

And welcome! It's always good to have new expertise and input here.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 14 October 2010 at 04:05.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    Thanks for the welcome and replies guys! My car has approx. 230,000 kms on it. I think I'll give this a try while the new suspension is being put in next weekend. I figure it can't hurt.

BTW, don't know about expertise but I'll be happyto provide input whenever I can.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc

I would try the GS trans mount

I also have an 06 manual, and I know what you are dealing with. I would still take the course of action that has been discused above and will be very curious to see if it helps. If it does not I highly recommend getting a new trans mount from GS. It helped on my car.Did it solve it totally,no. Did it reduce the roughness, yes. After doing the mod myself I still am having bit of a brain cramp as too how the new trans mount reduces the roughness while shifting. I mean it is a nice solid piece and the OEM had so much play. My problem is why did they design the OEM part that way?
    My next step is the short shift kit from GS.
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    do you really think the short shift kit would work? I've also thought about it and perhaps doing the trans mount at the same time...not sure if it addresses the problem though

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
    I have not done the short shift kit yet so I have no clue only hopes. Was told by GS to not bother doing the short shift kit mod without doing the trans mount. So I did the trans mount and S&B airfilter at the same time.

If you do the fluid change without doing any of the mods it will make it a controlled experiment. That being said I could see not wanting to change the fluid three times if you do not need to.

I unfortunately will not be getting the short shift kit for a few weeks. Got to get authorization from the finance department in our household. I will let you know how it works out unless you beat me to it.
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-5 Sportcombi
    My finance minister has already denied the request...at least until sometime in 2011.