Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 2.3 5 speed wagon
    I recently did this with my 99 model that I've had for about a month now as a preventative measure. Very glad that I did as it was starting to build up sludge with only 61,000 miles on it. The car was a one owner Seattle car that was purchased from the original sale dealer. I didn't get much for service records so I figured it would be better to be safe rather than sorry. The thing I would like to add is that I found a way to ease putting the sump back onto the engine. I didn't have much luck with jacking the trans (manual) so I hooked a come along under the lip of the upper engine mount ( wishbone? ) and lifted it up approximately an inch or so and this gave enough clearance between the subframe to make replacement much easier. I'm not saying it made it easy but it went in without wiping out the bead of sealant which I would say is the main objective. Hopefully I didn't do any damage to the upper engine mount but it seems to be just fine without any excess engine movement and it shifts fine. I still used the pry bar between the crank end and the frame. Hopefully this will be of help to some one else.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagonmaster View Post
    I didn't have much luck with jacking the trans (manual) so I hooked a come along under the lip of the upper engine mount ( wishbone? ) and lifted it up approximately an inch or so and this gave enough clearance between the subframe to make replacement much easier.
    The sump came off much easier on my 2005 manual compared to the 2001 auto. Different engines and transmission combination seem to make a difference. Was there a lot of sludge in there after only 61K miles? What about the pickup screen?

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd
    I just did another sump drop on a 2001 Aero 5-spd with my friend this weekend. I got scared when I saw the reinforcement plate under there but this one had the punch marks so we just gave them a few taps with a ball peen hammer and they broke out. All went smoothly and there was VERY little evidence of sludge at 175k miles. We're thinking it had to have been dropped and cleaned by the previous owner.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T Vert AE BSR Sg 1, 2001 9-5 2.3t (AERO) 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrptd View Post
    well, done the sump drop yesterday. Took about 5 hrs total, but worth it!
    The sump was full of gritty slush and the pick up filter was a mess, very glad that i done it . And a big to your post on how to do it, it all made sense as I went thru the stages.
    Car is running as it was before, still has a slight strange noise under acceleration (christian at aktive motors thinks it could be running lean again), it sounds like when someone is driving a manual car to slowly in a high gear . Really dont know what it is. Also, now the turbo really whistles. I have double checked everything and there doesnt seem to be any leaks or disconnected hoses anywhere, but still seems to be running ok.
    I had a look into the turbo when everything was apart and it looks good (as it should be), and so this has me a little perplexed aswell. Have you heard of anything like this before? winter is coming and We have a little one on the way, so really want our Saab to be at its best. Again, any help is appreciated
    I just finished my sump drop yesterday (I took a week to complete it but I only worked on it last Saturday and yesterday). I have also noticed that the turbo whistle is much louder. Also, the oil light is coming on every once in a while (which it has never done before). I'm guessing I just need to add more oil since it seems to happen when the car is going up/down a hill or taking a turn fast. Since mine sat for a week I'm guessing that every last drop of oil dripped out of the engine. When you do a full sump drop, about how many quarts of oil did it end up needing??? I added a little over 5 quarts.

Saab(s)
    Only US diesel 93 SS, 03 93 SS, 89 900T CV

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Quote Originally Posted by raquettelaker2 View Post
    I just did another sump drop on a 2001 Aero 5-spd with my friend this weekend. I got scared when I saw the reinforcement plate under there but this one had the punch marks so we just gave them a few taps with a ball peen hammer and they broke out. All went smoothly and there was VERY little evidence of sludge at 175k miles. We're thinking it had to have been dropped and cleaned by the previous owner.
    I know this is an old post, but having to punch the holes is a good way to know that its the first time the sump has been off. Chalk up another aero for having very little sludge. Between SC and here, it sure seams the Aero didnt suffer the sludge problems that the lpt did.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear

PCV #6 update

Hi guys,
    This is great instructions on cleaning the sump. I recently purchased a 2003 9-5 Linear with 90,000 miles. I plan on dropping the sump this weekend. I have had no problems, but am performing as a precaution. I have also read that a PCV update is also recommended. Just wondering if you all had any comments or concerns about a PCV update on a 2003 9-5. Is it necessary, harmful, any opinions would help.
    Thank you all

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    A Linear J, you asked this PCV question before and I moved it to a new thread. You probably missed the responses. I should have let you know.

http://saabworld.net/f9/replacing-pcv-2047/

Good luck with sump drop.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear
    Thanks Wulf,
    I dropped the sump and replaced the PCV update with no problem. Your step by step instructions with pictures were very helpful. Very glad i took the time , here some before and after pics at what the sump looked like at 95,000 miles. It sure saved a great me a great deal of money and headache by performing this procedure.
    Thanks again

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 5002
Size:  37.0 KBName:  IMG_0156.jpg
Views: 4061
Size:  25.7 KB

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 SE 2.3t

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by nkrptd View Post
    well, done the sump drop yesterday. Took about 5 hrs total, but worth it!
    The sump was full of gritty slush and the pick up filter was a mess, very glad that i done it . And a big to your post on how to do it, it all made sense as I went thru the stages.
    Car is running as it was before, still has a slight strange noise under acceleration (christian at aktive motors thinks it could be running lean again), it sounds like when someone is driving a manual car to slowly in a high gear . Really dont know what it is. Also, now the turbo really whistles. I have double checked everything and there doesnt seem to be any leaks or disconnected hoses anywhere, but still seems to be running ok.
    I had a look into the turbo when everything was apart and it looks good (as it should be), and so this has me a little perplexed aswell. Have you heard of anything like this before? winter is coming and We have a little one on the way, so really want our Saab to be at its best. Again, any help is appreciated
    Hey there nkrptd -

I have the exact same car as you. A 99 9-5 2.3. Mine is a manual though. You didn't specify if yours was. I've been looking into this and am very curious to see what my sump looks like. Did you just follow the instructions that Wulf gave? They look pretty thorough. I've heard that some models have hidden bolts underneath that you have to drill to. I was wondering if you ran into that problem? Shoot me back when you get a chance. Thanks.