Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
  1. #11
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    10 Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    50
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Great write up. I think i need to change mine soon and this will be a GREAT help. Hey you are in CT too. Wanna do mine??

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #12
    Saab Enthusiast raquettelaker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Aug 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    53
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd
    Thumbs Up:   6
    Haha, I might be willing to help. Where are you in the big CT?

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #13
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    10 Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    50
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    Thumbs Up:   0
    I am in Middletown.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #14
    Saab Enthusiast raquettelaker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Aug 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    53
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd
    Thumbs Up:   6
    Haha. I'm going to Middletown for dinner and drinks with some friends tonight. I live in Coventry at the moment. How soon do you need to do it? What's your car's mileage?

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #15
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    10 Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    50
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    Thumbs Up:   0
    No huge rush but I have about 40K on the car so I think its time for sure. I am getting a low coolant message so I wonder if the water pump is going too? Anyway thanks for the offer, I am sure I can use the help when I tackle this.
    Middletown has alot of good restaurants on Main St. Which one are you going to?

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #16
    Mike
    Moderator Shazam's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Jul 2010
    Location
    Rochester, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,986
    Saab(s)
    1973 96
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Quote Originally Posted by psymon View Post
    I am getting a low coolant message so I wonder if the water pump is going too?
    Are you getting it really frequently? A coolant message every so often is normal; coolant naturally evaporates a little bit over time.

    0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

  7. #17
    Jose Luis
    Saab Addict jlrSAAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Oct 2010
    Location
    Espaņa
    Posts
    534
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    Thumbs Up:   0
    my mate replaced the timing belt kit (Opel Astra 2.0 t with 104000kms, see picture) a few days ago and he said that the water pump was OK. water pumps now a days have a long durability mileage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    0 Not allowed!


  8. #18
    Saab Enthusiast raquettelaker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Aug 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    53
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd
    Thumbs Up:   6
    Quote Originally Posted by psymon View Post
    No huge rush but I have about 40K on the car so I think its time for sure. I am getting a low coolant message so I wonder if the water pump is going too? Anyway thanks for the offer, I am sure I can use the help when I tackle this.
    Middletown has alot of good restaurants on Main St. Which one are you going to?
    40k!? It doesn't need a serpentine belt yet. Unless it's making noise. Water pump would be the last thing I'd look at if you're getting a low coolant message. More likely your coolant bypass valve is leaking, or you're just low and need to add a little. The range before it starts yelling at you is pretty narrow.

    Not going to Middletown anymore tonight. He wanted to bring me to some wine bar but forgot he made commitments with a client from work for tonight so we're just sticking around where I live.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #19
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    10 Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    50
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    Thumbs Up:   0
    the only reason I mentioned the serp belt is because when I took it in for the 30k service, the dealer mentioned the serp belt could use to be changed. I told them to leave it. Also as far as the water pump, they replaced it once last year because I was getting the low coolant message so I am not sure. I don't know how I would check either.
    The only thing that I can think of is if memory serves, for the 2005 model they did a short belt mod bypassing the center pulley, and they went back to the long belt in 2006. I recall reading that this short belt was causing a high number of water pump failures.

    edit
    Here is the thread I was reading about the short belt.
    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php/...ne-belt-change

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by psymon; 16 November 2010 at 00:48. Reason: added link

  10. #20
    Saab Enthusiast photousa's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    220
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Quote Originally Posted by psymon View Post
    the only reason I mentioned the serp belt is because when I took it in for the 30k service, the dealer mentioned the serp belt could use to be changed. I told them to leave it. Also as far as the water pump, they replaced it once last year because I was getting the low coolant message so I am not sure. I don't know how I would check either.
    The only thing that I can think of is if memory serves, for the 2005 model they did a short belt mod bypassing the center pulley, and they went back to the long belt in 2006. I recall reading that this short belt was causing a high number of water pump failures.

    edit
    Here is the thread I was reading about the short belt.
    Question on serpentine belt change
    You should find out if the Dealer was suggesting that you change the belt because it was the short belt. If you do indeed have the short belt, I agree with the dealer and would change back to the long belt and I don't think I would wait any longer than I had to. I had read where the short belt was causing problems with the power steering pump. You've probably already read about the odd vibrations that people get with the short belt.

    0 Not allowed!
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Serpentine belt change - long vs short belt
    By SaabScott in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10 December 2010, 05:40
  2. Saab 900 Serpentine Belt Replacement - 2.0
    By Shazam in forum Tutorials
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10 October 2010, 15:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.