Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero

New member with a 2010 9-5 Aero

Just posted some pix in the Saab talk picture thread forum. This is my 5th and best Saab so far. Absolutely stunning car in person, pictures don't do the car justice. While some have said it was "too big" I find the car drives smaller than it looks. Best handling Saab I have driven, very tight esp in "Sport" mode. Classic Saab acceleration esp from 30mph+. The XWD really keeps the car planted. Mine is fairly well equipped, basically all the toys except the rear DVD screens. Here's one more picture for now.
    I'd be happy to answer any questions about the car.

JTMav
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
    My 5th Saab, previous 93 9000 CSE, 94 900 CVT, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2004 9-5 Aero
    JTMav
    Ooo, so where you drawn to the new 9-5 because you were a prior Saab owner or what? Not many of the new 9-5 owners can be found on any of Saab forums! Glad to have you!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see the new 9-5 here.

I checked out the 2010 9-5 a few weeks ago and wasn't really impressed with the outward visibility. The side windows seemed rather small and the front windshield is far away from the driver. One thing I like about the 1st generation is the excellent seating position and view outside.

I haven't driven the new one yet but what's your experience with the view to the outside? Am I just imagining things. As an owner of several other Saabs, you probably can provide a good comparison to the older models.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero

Not sure, should I reply here or is this for pix only?

Since your the moderator feel free to move this post. I was drawn to the new 9-5 because I have enjoyed all my previous Saabs. That said it has been a love/hate relationship at times given some of the maintenance issues I have had. I used to keep my Saabs for over 100k mostly because I had teenage drivers and kept passing along my old one for a new one. I left the brand in 2005 when it looked like GM was going to kill the company one way or another and bought a Lexus SC 430. Nice car, fun droptop, bulletproof and in the end sterile and boring. I always followed the brand and when Spyker rescued Saab I was waiting for the new 9-5 to come Stateside. At first I wasn't sure with the pictures I saw, but in person and after driving one I knew I wanted to come back. No question there is some GM DNA in the car, but it drives all Saab. This reference to a Buick by some is nonsense. It is the best driving Saab I a have ever owned. The technology in the car is cutting edge, the XWD really keeps the car planted in the twisties. The dealers here in Boston really want to get the car on the road so the deal was compelling.
    I couldn't be happier with the car . I hope to contribute to your site as I have to a few others I belong to.
    Thanks for your interest.
    JTMav

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
    Since your the moderator feel free to move this post.
    I moved your posts here so we can keep the other thread mainly for pictures.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero
    All 3 pillars A,B,and C are wider than I would like, so you're correct. It takes a little getting used to but after a month of driving it daily it's not a big deal. I am used to the new trend of a high beltline so the smaller windows aren't an issue, though I could see coming from an OG 9-5 why it would be noticeable. The parking assist helps with the blind spot in the rear. There really should have been a back up camera with the car. Interesting that there is only one back up light in the rear, like my old 9000 but no front back up lights that the 9000 had. The one rear is an led so it's very bright. The lighting in the car is excellent. There a many. many more positives about the car than negatives. I also had 2 other 9-5 Aeros and there is no comparison, really. There are things about my OG 9-5s that were great, but this is a truly special car. I didn't think they could make a better seat than my 2004 Aero but they did, this one is the best so far.

More to come, if there are more questions.

JTMav
    Last edited by JTMav; 26 October 2010 at 15:23.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    I moved your posts here so we can keep the other thread mainly for pictures.
    My fault...

Glad to hear you like the car so much. I still have yet to see one in person

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    My fault...
    Nobody's fault. A simple comment can often turn into a lively discussion and you never know when and where. The discussion just seemed to fit better in this thread. No biggie.

I first saw the new 9-5 at an auto show in Miami and a few weeks ago was the first time I ever sat in one. Perhaps I'll be able to drive one next year. I think SaabWorld needs a test fleet of new Saabs and rotate between the moderators and active members.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero

Mine is the only one I've seen

Sabbs are very popular here in Boston yet mine is the only one I've seen so far. In the past 4 weeks I have been waved to, asked to roll down my window and chat at a red light, almost caused a couple of accidents as people driving kept staring at my car and not the road. The curiosity factor is pretty high and the car itself doesn't really look like anything else on the road currently. I guess it'll be fun to finally run into another NG9-5 owner

ALDO
    Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 2.3 turbo, ex- Saab 9000
    Congratulations for the car, Sir.

There´s absolutely no doubt that this new GM 9-5 will be doing much better with the tough competition than it was doing lately its predecessor. There´s also absolutely no doubt about the general superiority of this new model compared to the OG 9-5 (with the exception of some practical details, visibility and quality of the interior that was better in the older models of OG 9-5). There´s also no doubt this car will be crucial to SAAB´s future, and I could continue like this....

But......I´m more a fan of the swedish styling when it comes to saabs (sorry).

A fan of all saabs that from a km away can be noticed like a saab and no other different make, you know which ones I mean: the very old ones, the classic 9-3 up to 2002 designed by Björn Envall, and the 9-5 up to 2005 designed by Tony Catignani.

Those are usually called the "old-school" saabs; designed by saab designers in Trollhattan (not GM), that share at the most their platforms with other GM cars, not many more...

The new 9-5 is a much better car than any "old-school" saab in the road, a supreme car, extremelly safe and comfortable, probably one of the best cars in the world right now (I don´t doubt that)...but it´s not a swedish styled saab anymore (and not a 2.3T SaabScania-engined model either), no offense intended.

If I were shopping for a great car with 60.000 Euros in my pocket, and I wouldn´t care much about saab personality and swedish styling, then there´s absolutely no doubt it may would be one to consider, and by the way in the same version and color that JTMav bought it.

My very honest opinion on this, with all respect to everybody´s opinion on here.