Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion

2008 9-3 2.0t test drive, from a very jaded c900 addict

I had the good fortune to meet some Saabers who had once owned a c900 similar to mine. They took a liking to me, and asked if I would like to test-drive their 9-3. I may be jaded, but I have an open mind so I thought, why not?
    The thing is amazing.
    I'm so sorry about anything I may have said on SC about new saabs. On one hand, I believe I've skipped about 15 years of GM evil to get here, but on the other hand, wow. I like it better than the Subaru STI I drove the other day.

Turbo makes the thing feel like it has wings. Boost in 1st and 2nd gear is limited by the ECU (as they should be), and third and fourth feel like classic SAABing. Even when I hit the boost in 5th and 6th, the car would accelerate well. Impressive! I hunted for logging trucks to pass until I found one, and it felt just like in every SAAB advert ever. Blissful and effortless as the boost gauge rose to the red. I can see how this becomes addictive. Cornering was on rails, and handling very forgiving. No wobbles or loss of control here, even when I tried to upset the car's balance.

Gearchanges from the 6 speed were smooth, and the long shifter throw and deep clutch pedal engaging at the very top of the stroke reminded me of the feel of the c900, and eased transition from one SAAB to the next.

Power seats were supple, and adjustment was intuitive, as were most other controls on the dash. Like those in the c900 dash, the 9-3's gauges were neither distracting nor hidden. I could focus on the road.

It's as quiet as my ex-girlfriend's camry, but it's solid and supple, and has the spirit of SAAB underneath, with no funny noises, and lets just enough sound in for you to remember you're driving. I love how I can hear the compressor whistle as I get on the boost.

The bottom line: I didn't think I could love another SAAB after the classic 900. But I do. They have captured important aspects of the feel of a c900, and packaged it into a much less oily, much less smelly, vibration-free, quiet, solid car. A car that has character, without paying for it in comfort.

SAAB history now reminds me of that of Apple Computer. The two-smoke and V4 cars were similar to all the old Apple I (DIY-able, extremely durable, powerful). The 99 and 900 are the Apple II (long production run, classic, killer app = turbo). The GM era was everything Apple did in the mid-'90s (decent machines, which felt to some too ordinary, so people complained of lost focus). Now these new cars feel like the iBook and iMacs. Fit, finish, and performance come together.

I'm optimistic about the future for SAAB. This is one of the first in a line of redesigned 9-3s, and it is one of the best modern cars I've driven. I don't think I could ever give up the rattles, the bumps, and the smell of my classic 900, but this 9-3 sure is solid.
    Last edited by euromobile900; 08 November 2010 at 03:11.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Also, I ask all of your forgiveness for anything I may have said that is factually incorrect. I tried my best, but I'm not so familiar with the newer SAABs. I may become so, though, given how much I liked this 9-3

Anybody in New Hampshire want to let me test drive their 9-5?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I was in NH a few months ago, not too far from where you live. You could have taken my 9-5 for a ride if we knew each other back then!

Overtaking slower traffic is so much fun, I even do when I am not in a hurry. Just because I can. Push the Sport mode button and feel the rush.

All 2006+ 4-cylinders have the 2.0T 210hp engine in the US. The 2.0t has 175hp and was the engine in Linear models.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    I'm always a bit scared to run a classic 900 turbo too hard when passing, because of the fragile gearbox and the fact that it's not mine. So I'd been itching to try the turbo with no gearbox guilt ever since I saw the classic truck-passing ad and its derivatives.

Thank you for the clarification about engines. C900 engine can be tweaked to 210hp easily with Trionic, but that's near double what the gearbox was first introduced under, back in 1980. The wikipedia article on the 9-3 was a bit messy and unclear to me, likely because it's being edited by people from many different countries.

Thanks for the offer! If you're ever back here before I move again...