Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion

C900 wiper subtlety

I try to change my wipers every 4 years, whether they need it or not. They always need it after 1 year, but I am cheap and don't drive that much. The new (Bosch) wipers I got four years ago were disappointing. I fitted them and found that they did not conform to the curve of my wraparound windshield. I ended up using my old wiper frames and sticking the new rubber in them. This got me through for four years.

It turns out that good c900 wiper frames have to be asymmetrical in order to wipe properly at the corners of the windshield, due to its extreme curve. Let me show you what I mean:

Top is a very old Bosch wiper. Middle is a very old Champion wiper. Bottom is a newer Bosch wiper. You can see the bend in the middle of the wipers. To the left is the side that goes up (away from the wiper arm). This bend allows the outside of the wiper to operate along the curved windshield. The new wiper ISN'T BENT. Shame on Bosch for cheapifying their design.

And here is a close up of the bend in the middle.

It is possible, if you do not have old wipers, to kink your own, as a sort of "redneck mod". Just don't get overzealous. A little bit goes a long way.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    the wiper blade must slide freely in the arm guides otherwise stuck and the curve areas are not cleaned due to there is not contact in the windscreen.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    I've used modern flat wipers with silicone rubber blades on mine. I'm still impressed after 18 months.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Hey Peva! Nice to see you here. Your c900 knowledge gives me a run for my money, so I'll have to watch my tongue around you! I've never used the silicone blades. Are they that much better?

If you like, I'll send you a bent wiper blade so you can experience the difference in side-by-side tests
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Euro, don't worry about your tongue. I can cope with that. It's the bent wiper blades you're going to send me. I can make my own thanks. I put the flat wipers on 'cause I like the look and to try them. The silicone blade certainly seems to cut through the grease more than standard rubber.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by peva; 12 March 2011 at 11:11.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    I posted some of your hard-won expertise in the Cooling System Thread. I thought it would make you happy to see that your hard-won fight with Jim did not go to waste.

Speaking of which, I sure wish Jim would come over.

Clive
    Saab(s)
    Past: '86 EMS n/a, Now:1993 900i N/A x2 -5dr Ruby & Red Vert
    Made a nice discovery lately...............you can fit 20" wipers to the vert model wipers. 18" looked too small for the increase in windscreen surface area.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
    Made a nice discovery lately...............you can fit 20" wipers to the vert model wipers. 18" looked too small for the increase in windscreen surface area.
    Yes you can. And I normally put on the largest size that just misses the rubber. And my last set were silicone flat-blade wipers too. Absolutely, bloody, fantastic.