Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi

odd noise when accelerating from stop

I am getting a weird noise coming from my saab. I can replicate it when I am at a stop and need to make a turn. When I accelerate and turn the wheel either way to turn, I get what sounds like the noise you would get if you rolled your Rs. It is somewhat faint but def there. Any ideas what this could be.
    thanks in advance.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    First things I thought of were wheel bearings on one side or the other or a bad CV joint. I would check the underside of your vehicle for rips or tears in your CV joint boots. Once, we owned a VW Jetta with a noise similar to what you've described. It was hard for dealer to track down the source of the noise, but by using a stethoscope, they isolated the problem to a bad wheel bearing, probably caused by an accident my wife was in. I also heard odd noises coming once from my Saturn's front end wheel area. It turned out to be in need of brake pads.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Since it sounds like you only get this sound when at a stop or very slow full lock turns - I suspect your Serp. belt is just flopping around. Most Saab's have what is known as a short belt. What results from this is a long straight away in the belt at the top - and often the slack will cause a flop noise when the tensioner starts doing it's job. Brand new 9-5's have done this for years as do older ones. If the noise is excessive - as a Saab technician could tell you, a long belt could be installed with a new center idler pulley. This WILL eliminate that belt noise, however offers an additional pulley to fail later down the line, and also makes replacing the belt a harder feat. Lastly if the tensioner itself if worn - it could cause a bit more flop in the belt as it's not keeping up with the slack fast enough. Before ordering parts inspect your belt - as if it has cracks starting or it apears stretched you should replace the belt as well - if keeping the short belt setup.

Suggestion - open your hood and have a friend or spouse start the car. At a safe distance - wearing proper safety equiptment lean over and watch the belt - have your driver turn the wheel to full lock one way and just lightly bounce off the lock - turn the wheel the other way. Do you see the belt shaking a bit when it hits the lock? Is this the noise you are hearing? If so - address as you would like.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com