Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Frank ... I owe you a beer buddy!

That was exactly it! They had the power antenna lead running to the amp power lead. They had the correct lead for the amp running to something not even shown in your diagram! I removed it and plugged it directly in ... everything worked great after that.

What I may do is take the car back to them and have them re-wire the ouput/input to RCA to RCA instead of speaker out to RCA. Have them do the more "difficult" work!

I'll deal with the dimming later on. Right now I am happy not to have to drive home from SOC12 with only the radio!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Thanks again for the detailed instructions Frank ... I wish I had trusted myself more and had more time between getting the car and heading to SOC12.

I have now pretty much re-wired the entire thing, including the wiring off the headlight switch.

The only thing I have to sort out is the steering wheel controls ... as soon as I moved the power switch over to the HL wire, the volume started climbing and I couldn't do anything but disconnect it. Will have to chase that down later on ... I've gotten used to having the steering wheel controls and they are very nice to have.

Also, will be going into Future Shop to see about getting some/all of my money back since the installer really didn't do me any favours with his work!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Fan
    Sth Staffs, UK (and sometimes Westmeath, Ireland)
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    I've just upgraded my ICE to a SONY XAV622 and used this as a guide.

however.... I also do not use 'scotch locks' as they are prone to working loose. soldering and sleeving with heat-shrink is the best way and 2nd is crimp connectors.

I used SONY amps too and therefore unplugged the SAAB HK amp. this meant that I neglected to connect the SAAB HK amp remote and then found that the aerial amp didn't work! And I used the PAC SWI-PS. this was so easy and didn't need any resistors nor loop cutting! Fantastic.

Thanks to all those who made this thread and to the Angry Kitchen Appliances web site.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Took me forever to get all the parts and pieces, and I ended up going with an older model, but very very happy. Works with iphone too! Thanks to everyone for the great thread!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  27.0 KB
    Last edited by grendal; 15 October 2012 at 02:01. Reason: Addition

Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a pioneer-8400 to put in my 2004 Saab 9-5 (9-speaker). I bought the wiring harness (Metra 70-1786) and the antenna adapter (Metra 40-VW12). I splice all of the needed wire to the system (ground, constant, ignition, and amp control). Then, I wanted to check and make sure that the radio worked before doing the steering controls. I popped the stock system out and plugged the wiring harness in and the antenna. I turned the key and the radio turned on and was fully functional. I selected the tuner function and it was displaying the correct information about the station and song, but there was no audio. I tried turning the system all the way up and nothing. So i put a disc in thinking that the tuner function may be screwy and still no sound . Was there something i did wrong (or didn't do).

Thanks
    (Great post Frank very informative)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 Aero, 99 9-5 SE and an old '67 Volvo 1800
    My guess is that you didn't connect the head unit up correctly to turn on the power amp. There is one pin in the connector (see Frank's early posts in this thread, I think it's pin 7 on the Metra connector) that is used for the head unit to turn on the power amp. Make sure that you have that connected from your head unit. The wire may be labeled antenna or remote or something like that.

Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
    My guess is that you didn't connect the head unit up correctly to turn on the power amp. There is one pin in the connector (see Frank's early posts in this thread, I think it's pin 7 on the Metra connector) that is used for the head unit to turn on the power amp. Make sure that you have that connected from your head unit. The wire may be labeled antenna or remote or something like that.
    I made sure that it was connected. I believe the wire on the unit was labeled "system remote control"(it said in the book it was to turn on an amp). I'm at work right now or else I would look for what pioneer named the wire.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Great thread Wulf! So glad I found it. Im going to attempt to install a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT into my 1999 9-5.

Quick question: besides I believe the Pioneer Ipod cable(i need the CD-IU51V) are all the parts Im going to need the same as listed on Page 1? Is there a direct link for the GLI's where I can purchase so that Im sure to get the right brand, type etc.?

Once I get this all done I plan on posting pics and a brief summary of the process. In the mean time....I might be back with a few more questions!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 Aero, 99 9-5 SE and an old '67 Volvo 1800
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Great thread Wulf! So glad I found it. Im going to attempt to install a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT into my 1999 9-5.

Quick question: besides I believe the Pioneer Ipod cable(i need the CD-IU51V) are all the parts Im going to need the same as listed on Page 1? Is there a direct link for the GLI's where I can purchase so that Im sure to get the right brand, type etc.?

Once I get this all done I plan on posting pics and a brief summary of the process. In the mean time....I might be back with a few more questions!
    I did the X930BT last year. You need everything on Frank's list and as you mention the IPOD adapter is different. The main cable is a USB type A and a Mini jack that the iPod adapter plugs into. (so you can buy that at a later date if you want to just run the USB out)

The other thing you will need is the ground loop isolators which help you adapt from the single-ended, common ground signaling of the Pioneer to the differential input for the HK amp.

Here's the link to the section of this thread with my install, harness, etc.

http://saabworld.net/f29/double-din-...84/index5.html

Good luck. It's not too hard, just requires a bit of patience.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
    I did the X930BT last year. You need everything on Frank's list and as you mention the IPOD adapter is different. The main cable is a USB type A and a Mini jack that the iPod adapter plugs into. (so you can buy that at a later date if you want to just run the USB out)

The other thing you will need is the ground loop isolators which help you adapt from the single-ended, common ground signaling of the Pioneer to the differential input for the HK amp.

Here's the link to the section of this thread with my install, harness, etc.

http://saabworld.net/f29/double-din-...84/index5.html

Good luck. It's not too hard, just requires a bit of patience.
    Thanks for the quick response and for the help! Would this suffice for the GLI? Scosche Ground Loop Isolator Es034 - Car Audio and Video Accessories - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com