Size:  191.8 KB

Splash screen

Name:  splash_saab_logo.jpeg
Views: 102259
Size:  86.4 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Thanks big time for the step by step stereo install. I did the same install in a 2001 with a JVC deck. I have one problem though. When I switch songs on a CD, switch sources, or turn the volume all the way down I get a loud pop that I am assuming is the amplifier switching off/on. Do you have this same problem? I used the blue/white wire from the JVC deck and spliced it to the AMP MUTE wire on the Saab.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I did have the problem with the loud pop when turning off the head unit. The standard Saab audio system first turns off the amplifier when you push the button or turn off the ignition before it actually shuts down the head unit. Any aftermarket unit turns itself of first and then just cuts the power to the amplifier at the same time, causing the amplifier to "pop".

This can be fixed by installing Ground Loop Isolators (GLI) between the amp-out on the head-unit and the amplifier. GLI's are usually used to eliminate a humming sound but they also do a good job with eliminating the popping sound.

Your problem sounds a bit different though, perhaps based on how the JVC unit powers the amp. It seems like when the sound level drops to a certain point, the head unit cuts the power to the amp. I am not familiar with JVC head units but I suspect GLI's will have the same effect and eliminate the pop. They are pretty inexpensive so that would be my first step. You can get them from eBay, Crutchfield, Radioshack and other places.

Hopes this puts you on the right track but keep in mind I am not a car audio expert. And welcome to the forum! Hope you'll join us in the other areas as well.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Thanks for the info. I will post my progress and some photos when I complete my project.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    saab 9-5 aero Wagon sensotronic 2002
    Hello everybody,
    Sorry for my bad english but i am french.
    I have done the same install in my 2002. But i have exactly the same problem that VEGASAAB have, and it's also a JVC head unit. So i think the problem come from the head unit. Vegasaab I wait for your progress and tell us if you suceed to fix it.
    What have you done for the different color between the clarion 2dbk and the dashboard ?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
    BMXER. Those would have come in handy! I finished installation this weekend. The GLI's worked perfect! I found a set on eBay for around $8US. I will post pictures of the finished installation tonight.

On a side note. There are some posts where people have used capacitors to remedy the problem. I did try this before the GLI's. Sound was distorted and there was a high pitched whine when the car was turned on coming from the speakers. I can only assume this was the capacitors charging up. The pop was illiminated but the audio was horrible. Definately go with the GLI's.

The problem with aftermarket head units is the order in which the power is supplied to the amp and speakers. The stock head unit powered on the amp first and then the speakers. Aslo, the stock head unit supplies continuous power to the amp. With the JVC head unit, the speakers powered on first then the amp, producing the the popping sound. The JVC unit also dropped power to the amp whenever there was no signal going to the speakers producing a pop as well. This happened when switching sources, turning the volume all the way down and changing tracks on a CD.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    So the GLI work, it's a very good news.
    But where do you connect it ? There is 2 pair of RCA cable, one for each of them ? or just one ?
    I have read on an other french forum that noise can provide from a bad RCA cable quality.
    For the moment I am still waiting for my new ISO/RCA cable, and if it doesn't work I will connect a GLI.
    Thanks for this very quick response.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
    You need two. I connected them in between the head unit and the ISO block.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sweet install and upgrade! Very nice job overall - my reccomendation for you and others who may do this, toss out those scotch lock connectors and use a real but connector with heat shrink/glue instead. Those scotch locks are very shady and usually 16 year old kids use them on everything in their honda's b/c there is no skill involved, which also make electrical connection quality suffer. That aside - still a very nice install! I just want to perform the IPOD harness upgrade in out 9-5 one day - but this too would be nice to have if funds allow it one day.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com