Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   123
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwick110 View Post
    I haven't seen evidence of anyone successfully (or with as much detail as this) replace the factory stereo with a single DIN.
    There isn't any difference between installing a single and double-din. Connections will be the same, as long as the single-din has pre-amp outputs. But since you have the space for a double-din, it will look much nicer and easier to operate. But since you're frugal (or cheap as you call it ), a single-din should work fine.

That pocket would be nice for phones, audio players, wallet or other small items.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 2.3L Linear Turbo
    Thumbs Up:   0
    I guess this is a little off-topic, but I don't know which thread to put it in: I am hard wiring a cigarette lighter in behind my head unit so that I can get a clean power installation for my Sirius Satellite radio dock and play unit. I've grounded the plug and then connected the hot wire to the RED/BLUE POWER SUPPLY (IGNITION) wire in pin #2 on the AS3 Head Unit connector. This powers on with the stereo (which I like), but powers off before the radio does--when the key is in the OFF position, the radio is still on, but the Sirius unit turns off. In fact, the radio stays on until the key is turned to the LOCK position and pulled out.

If I could get the Sirius unit to stay powered on in the same way the head unit does, that would be great. As I see it, the only other power source in the Head Unit Connector is the RED POWER SUPPLY (CONSTANT) PIN 8. Will connecting in to that wire achieve what I'm after? Or, as I suspect, will that put the Sirius unit on constantly until I turn it off via its own power switch?

Thanks, and my apologies for putting this in this thread, but I think it is at least related, though tangentially.

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    If you want it to be powered while in the OFF position, you should be able to use the green wire from the headlight switch. Find info in the post in this thread: link

On a side note, I changed the title (and url) for this thread to describe the thread content more accurately. I think we went way beyond just the AVIC-F700BT and double-din units as it all pretty much the same for any aftermarket head unit install. You showed there often is more than just one way to do these kind of installations.

Thanks to everyone for all your contributions and sharing your experiences. It's the most-viewed thread on the site with almost 100K views.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thank you Frank! This is the best thread!

I tapped into the green headlight switch wire. It 'almost' works the same as the radio functions, but, unlike the factory stereo; the Sirius unit is on when the key is in the OFF position, but when the key is moved to the LOCK position (before being removed), the Sirius unit turns off.

Has anyone found a wire that will match to the function of the original head unit/ACC/SID?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The head unit switches off after 1 hour after you turn the key to the LOCK position. Could be controlled by the head unit itself, the SID or DICE.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks again.

I see that the new JVC unit turns off when the key gets to the LOCK position (unlike the factory unit.) So, it doesn't make any difference that the Sirius unit turns off as well.

Let me again post my appreciation for the completeness and clarity supplied in this thread.

I completed (pending the receipt and installation of my 4 pronged GLI and PAC SWI-RC) the installation of my double DIN JVC KW-R800BT CD receiver in my 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t.

I couldn't have done it without the detail provided herein.

The installation items included the METRA Wiring harness and antenna adapter (provided by Crutchfield), the Clarion 2DBKT mounting kit (I only used the faceplate trim and used the cage provided with my JVC unit), and the JVC KS-U58 as a way to plug my Sirius Stratus 6 into the rear of the head unit using the 3.5mm audio out plug on the Sirius Docking station. If not for the $75 Sirius radio transfer fee and the $100 price tag for the Sirius Connect and JVC KS-U57, I would have loved to have the Sirius controller integrated into the unit as well.

All in all, the installation is very clean with all Sirius (antenna is in between the dash center speaker and the security light as I couldn't get the wire fishing figured out that Frank referenced in the original write up), Bluetooth and USB wiring hidden behind the dash.

I took Frank's suggestion and routed the rear USB from the head unit to the glove box by drilling a 5/8" hole below the cool air entrance therein. As for the Bluetooth mic, I thought about putting it in the overhead panel in the place currently occupied by the On-Star mic, but it would have been too difficult to secure there so I decided against removing the (unused) On-Star mic instead routing it to the same area and mounting just above the rear-view mirror. Phone call sound quality seems good.

The unit does look a little out of place given the older look of the other dash electronics, but it's definitely worth having the capability of Bluetooth, iPod integration, and Aux in (front and back with the adapter)! Also, JVC throws in a ton of color adjustment possibilities such that I've been able to match the factor green and orange hues nearly exactly. I like the subtlety that the color matching allows rather than having a disco laser show going on with everything else so understated.

So, for those who aren't ready to drop USD$800+ on a touchscreen navigation unit, know that even a cheapo like me can make a nice improvement on the factory set up for about $225 all in!

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    We need to tap into two wires going to the headlight switch.

Yellow/Blue wire for illumination wire on the head unit

This wire goes to the headlight relay so it will have +12V when you turn the headlight switch to the On position (assuming your DRLís have been disabled).
    This wire needs to be connected to the orange Illum wire on the head unit. The unit needs to know when to dim the display so if the wire has +12V, the unit switches to night mode.

Green wire for the Acc wire on the head unit

There are 4 positions for the ignition key:

LOCK
    OFF
    ON
    START

The red wire in the Metra harness is supposed to be connected to the ACC wire on the harness. However, this wire is only powered when the ignition is in the ON position. This means your engine needs to be running in order to be able to use the head unit. You can turn the ignition to the ON position without having the engine running but this bad for the ignition and other engine parts. What we need is a wire that is powered when the ignition is in the OFF position.

Thatís where the green wire from the headlight switch comes in. It has +12V when the key is in the OFF, ON and START position and 0V when in the LOCK position. So the OFF position in the Saab 9-5 becomes the ACC position found on many other vehicles.

Procedure:

Take out the fuse panel cover on the left side and push out the headlight switch from behind.

Slide out the red part on the harness and remove the head light switch.

Use wire splice connectors to tap into the two wires

Attachment 100

Route the wires under the dash. The panel is secured with only 3 screws so it is easy to do.

Attachment 101

I have done this, and notice now that my engine stays on when I turn the key to the OFF position. Of course, it doesn't start when I turn the key from LOCK to OFF; just the electronics come on (head unit).

Curious, no? Any insights?

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 MY98 2.0T
    I lose all my settings whenever I turn off the car. If I use the green headlight wire, will I keep my settings? Or do I lose them when I use the Lock position?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniBanani View Post
    I lose all my settings whenever I turn off the car. If I use the green headlight wire, will I keep my settings? Or do I lose them when I use the Lock position?
    Did you connect the constant power from the harness (#8) to the correct wire on the head unit, as shown in this post? That should keep all the settings on the head unit, even when the ignition is turned off.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 MY98 2.0T
    I didn't mess with those because I had a pioneer adapter harness from my celica. And it worked so I assumed everything was just dandy. But I'll certainly check this out when I'm off work.

0 Not allowed!