Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesaab9-5 View Post
    Also the volume isn't the way I'd like it - there is no 'quiet' - it's either off or even at 'one' it's just right but anything beyond 'one' is too loud. Not sure why or what I can do about it.
    Did you use the pre-amp outputs on the head unit? If you connect the amplified connections (that usually power the speakers directly) to the amplifier connectors on the Metra/Saab harness, volume will be way too high.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    Thanks

Yep the meta harness 4 is black and free

The ground black wire on my head unit is already connected into a headunit harness, should i unplug/cut that and join that wire with the black one from the metra using my scotch locks?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
    Yep the meta harness 4 is black and free

The ground black wire on my head unit is already connected into a headunit harness, should i unplug/cut that and join that wire with the black one from the metra using my scotch locks?
    Yes, that looks right.

It looks like the head unit harness was used in another car? If you're not going to use it in any other car again, I would just remove the 2 top connectors.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    Yep i got it second hand so no worries. Thanks so much for your help so far Frank you've been amazing and very patient, feel proud you've helped a complete noob get into this

Progress pic so far, all 4 wires connected as instructed, colours were slightly different on the metra as you said so just followed the wire positions.

Name:  WCIH7842.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  44.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Yes, that looks right.

It looks like the head unit harness was used in another car? If you're not going to use it in any other car again, I would just remove the 2 top connectors.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 aero (at)
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Did you use the pre-amp outputs on the head unit? If you connect the amplified connections (that usually power the speakers directly) to the amplifier connectors on the Metra/Saab harness, volume will be way too high.
    Sorry I didn't notice the question. I used the pre-amps from the ISO harness - I checked with the manufacture - they advised me of some factory settings that can be adjusted and things are much better. I installed a TPMS last night and seem to have introduced allot of 'noise' on the system, probably a lose connector somewhere.

I'll take some photos once I get the reverse camera in.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    After some troubleshooting i got it all to work . Note to anyone in future, don't use the larger yellow scotch locks as shown in my above photo as they dont quite pierce the small stereo wiring enough, make sure your pliers crunch all the way down as well on the smaller ones to ensure connection.

Many thanks again Frank! Its now nestled nicely in my glove box, i'll be sure to write up and take pictures of my tablet install when its finished. Currently im looking at how best to fit the device in as its a cm or two just too wide, as per the pic i think i may create a slot in the inside plastic to slide it in slightly to reduce the width, also connect the USB power to it and to make it look tidy slot a fascia over the top when that part is completed.Name:  IMG_6722.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  51.5 KBName:  IMG_6723.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  37.7 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Great job Tapley, I am glad to hear it's working. I still recommend to solder those connections as it often provides a better connection and isn't all that difficult to do.

I am also happy to see this thread is still helping Saab owners all over the world and they are taking the time to update with their installs. Sometimes you wonder why you put so much time in a tutorial but this makes it all worth it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    What i lack in wire knowledge i make up for in software .
    Have rooted and adapted the default android launcher to get a clean large app iconed head unit screen. My Music from hard drive - Saved Podcasts - Waze - Spotify.

Plans to add a few more icons like a digital radio (no need for a new DAB ariel then) and open to other suggestions.
    There is some code that will turn it on automatically with the ignition and sleep it when ignition off.

When I've figured out the mounting logistics and added some steering wheel controls, if a success will make a guide in case anyone else wants to do similar!

Name:  IMG_6767.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  35.4 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    She's in!

Name:  263A8DA0-14FD-4713-ACAE-988AACDA900B.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  45.6 KB

Frank can i ask for your opinion on this steering wheel control, will it fit without me having to mess around with soldering the 1k resistor that you did on the controls you used?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MQRFR...v_ov_lig_dp_it

You know me i cant solder so i think the other cheap option is to link my tablets bluetooth to this stick on media button instead, seems a shame to lose the cars sterring wheel functionality mind you.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eximtrade-B...h+media+button

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Sorry Tapley but I don't know those products so can't give any useful advice about them.