Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

U.S. government proposes new rule to require back up camera in cars

Exhaust Notes - A Blog from MSN Autos - MSN Autos

Early next year, the agency is expected to go ahead with the plan, which would require automakers to have 10 percent of their vehicles with the systems by September 2012; 40 percent by September 2013; and 100 percent by September 2014

--

I'm not sure it's necessary. For the careless, will they look at the camera screen? I know some drivers that ignore dashboard warning lights because they don't bother to look for them.

I'd like to see body side moldings come back as well as full sized spare tires. Even a Volvo type automatic braking when you're driving 3-9 mph and the car stops in front of you in bumper to bumper traffic is more useful than a back up camera.

If there is a camera, then the ultrasound type parking distance control might not be needed. My Saab does not have this but I know of someone else's Saab that does.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I have the ultrasonic parking and there is no warning in reverse for child safety crossing, or Round base lamps in parking area supermarkets.
    I love this idea for security reasons.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    If you have a good view out of the back window, no gadget is needed. Just turn your head and look.

However.. car designs these days make it increasingly difficult to see anything behind the vehicle. I could back up my '90 Mercedes 300TE within inches of an obstacle or other car by just looking through the back window.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Why is this even being considered? People can't drive as it is - and now they have cars which can park themselves and back-up camera's for the fat and lazy sort who can't put down their blackberry or IPHONE to drive. I propose State Trooper Driver Exams - real tests. How about making a car one can just drive and not have all the gadgets of distractions as standard. Radio - check, Mirrors - check, Key - um... nope that's not needed anymore either.

I hate technology in cars these days b/c all the people who can afford them either can't drive, or don't know how to use them or both. Usually both.

/rant
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    U.S. DOT Proposes Rear View Visibility Rule to Protect Kids and the Elderly

it is a difficult implementation for the electronic check control of modern cars.
    all car-maker's must made the hardware and software updates for the new modification. almost impossible to do it, as the BCM does no allow any modification in the car than may vary the hardware and resistors values to the computer system.

for car-makers install in the future for new cars, that is a good idea.

it should be cheaper to install in the rear bumper humans detectors sensors sending a signal to the ABS/ECU engine to brake the car in case of humans presence when the car maneuver in reverse.
    Last edited by jlrSAAB; 06 December 2010 at 15:14.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    This may be aimed primarily at those lazy/stupid folk who tend to maim/kill their own kids when backing out of the driveway -- happened here only last week. Thankfully the 17-month-old survived with no serious long-term damage. When interviewed in the paper the parents said the incident was a "freak accident"! So dad's backing out the driveway and mum isn't making sure the toddler is out of harm's way? That's no freak accident, that's negligence.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    The poor kid survived, but the long term damage will be psychological. He's bound to have issues related to that when he grows up!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    It is necessary to introduce this due to car design evolution. I'd second above post that it combines with brakes - if there's an obstacle the car stops. If you want to continue you have to press a switch or something to override the automatic.
    Last edited by colombo; 22 December 2010 at 21:38. Reason: Bad eyes...