Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Engine temp gauge drops to bottom - thermostat or temp sensor? - P0116

A few weeks ago, all my dash warning lights came on, together with a loud alert sound. It went away within a few seconds and everything seemed just fine so i didn't think too much of it. Today, I noticed my temperature gauge was all the way at the bottom so it wasn't working at all. I turned off the car, started it up again and everything seemed fine. No CEL in booth cases.

I don't know if these 2 incidents are related or not. Is there a common cause for these gremlins?
    Last edited by nordwulf; 21 December 2010 at 23:05. Reason: Changed title

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    A few weeks ago, all my dash warning lights came on, together with a loud alert sound. It went away within a few seconds and everything seemed just fine so i didn't think too much of it. Today, I noticed my temperature gauge was all the way at the bottom so it wasn't working at all. I turned off the car, started it up again and everything seemed fine. No CEL in booth cases.

I don't know if these 2 incidents are related or not. Is there a common cause for these gremlins?
    don't care for sporadic failures...
    -my thoughts,
    about dash warning lights came on, it could be a millisecond dielectric short circuit (due to moisture) contacts between terminals; a failure terminals contact, a high pick tension........., radar detectors, attenuators signals near the police stations....... don't care if there is no code.

for the temperature gauge, that is rare, no signal; if the temperature sensor in short circuit you found the culprit.
    sometimes the gear-needle inside the cluster gauge stuck it. some knocks with the finger in the crystal recover the right position.
    -I may be wrong

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I read about the temperature gauge dropping to the bottom is the system telling you there is something wrong with the engine temperature. It happened again today and I noticed the gauge has been a bit on the low side lately. It sounds like I have a faulty thermostat.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    I read about the temperature gauge dropping to the bottom is the system telling you there is something wrong with the engine temperature. It happened again today and I noticed the gauge has been a bit on the low side lately. It sounds like I have a faulty thermostat.
    there is no temperature sensor in the engine?
    9-3 Saab, the temperature sensor send the resistance value to the engine control unit to the gauge temperature.
    I am not sure about 9-5

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Yes, it does have a coolant temp sensor. That may be bad as well.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    I would change out the sensor and thermostat. And heck if your anti-freeze is new I would change that out too. Now I don't about theother issue. Maybe the temp sonsor messing up made the car throw all the bells and whistles at you? Goodluck Wulf.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sounds like the coolant temperature sensor to me. These control the gauges in the T7 cars - and also CAN throw a CEL often in an OG9-5 or OG9-3 with a P0116 - meaning a coolant temp. ciruit performance problems. I usually change the T-stat with the sensor when I do these on customer cars. Depending on the coolant I like to flush the system too.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the advice. They both are inexpensive ($40 for both) so I might as well do both at the same time. Is it best to use a OEM thermostat or are aftermarket thermostats at my local part store or eEuroparts (Whaler) just as good?

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    sometimes OEM parts at dealers are cheaper than aftermarket parts.
    don't forget to replace the washer and rings with new ones. maybe, included in the kit.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Saab Thermastat KIT - includes gasket # 30577561 Eeuroparts has it for $24.52 (can be had for less @ dealer)
    Saab Coolant Temp Sensor # 15393755 Eeuroparts has it for $16.23 (about the same at the dealer - slightly less @ dealer)

Please note - my dealer prices are from Fred Beans Saab in Doylestown, PA via the "saabnet" account which I had setup for saablink members for 15% above cost.
    Feel free to call and iquire about the saabnet pricing - ask for Brian in Saab Parts via 215-345-7222
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com