Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

What's the best forum size?

I frequently visit advrider.com and I noticed there are 1740 members online on a Sunday evening. Some threads have 1000s of posts and it is impossible to keep up with most new content. There are more than 150K members and 13.5+ million posts.

What's the best size for a forum? SaabWorld could use a few more members but 150K+ seems a bit too many. I don't think we have to worry about that for a while. It's quality before quantity, right?

I was curious what that site is running on and didn't really get any good answers.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583088

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Swedespeed is a commercial business site. Same for benzworld.org (AutoGuide) and mbworld.org (InternetBrands). It seems most forums that grew big are now all business-owned (like SaabScene and SaabLink). Personally, I prefer the smaller, enthusiast-run forums.

Swedespeed is a publication of Vortex Media Group, a leading independent online publishing company. Among its sister sites are VWvortex.com, Fourtitude.com, Mwerks.com, TurboNines.com, and KilometerMagazine.com. We hope you enjoy what we deliver as much as we do creating it.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Both my brothers are on VWvortex, and while it has many members, you can never get a straight answer. Too many arguments, and only a few people that stand out as reputable from the thousands there. I think the best sized ones are where members can be recognizable (for the most part), yet there is enough people to have a full knowledge of the entire area covered by the forum.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Saablink is a perfect size IMHO - that is the group of people and size you want to attract here.
    Saablink Tech Specs:
    Most Saablink users ever online was 337, 06-27-2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Threads: 49,524
    Members: 6,352

Of those 6,352 members there are prob. near 400 "active" members who truely count and post regularly.

Forum was created mind you October 2003 I believe - so that's some good "recent" data to compare with.

At events you will usually get anywhere from 25-100 Saablink members to show up in full spirit and know each other. We are basically a large family. We keep tabs on one another - mostly known by our net names at first, but after enough encounters we are all on "first name" basis.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    At events you will usually get anywhere from 25-100 Saablink members to show up in full spirit and know each other. We are basically a large family. We keep tabs on one another - mostly known by our net names at first, but after enough encounters we are all on "first name" basis.
    That sounds like a manageable size.

We already have a "Real name" field in the user profile. I was thinking of adding that under the user name in every post to make the site a little bit personal.

Norbert
    Saab(s)
    9.3 cab 1.9D electricblue
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    We already have a "Real name" field in the user profile. I was thinking of adding that under the user name in every post to make the site a little bit personal.
    I'm fine with the nick -- when it's optional, why not

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    What's the best size for a forum? SaabWorld could use a few more members but 150K+ seems a bit too many. I don't think we have to worry about that for a while. It's quality before quantity, right?
    So when are SW's quality members arriving ?

I like diversity over quanity (think a really good buffet ). A good international representation with a bit extra membership in the home country of the forum site is good, as I like to hear all different viewpoints but that if I'm asking for tech or general assistance there'll be "locals" who can help me out more.

As the an optimal size ? Depends on how many are active. I'd guess between 200-300 would be an okay size, not too big but small enough that you can still get to know most people.

This is a good size (my car above yellow event diamond logo)

(hey Dave, did you go to SOC in 2004 ?)
    Last edited by SaabKen; 13 December 2010 at 19:04.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

got boost?
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0T
    ill have to agree with most people. Im on quite a few forums, saablink, saabcentral, here, m3forum, bimmerpost, e46fanatics, and 1 addicts. of all those Saablink and Saabcentral for my are pretty good sizes for me. they both have a group of people that are fairly consistant posters and we all seem to know eachothers forum names so when there is arguing, its like arguing with your family. you hate them for 5 minutes then your back to being best pals.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    I've never been to the SOC. The only thing I've been to is the Scanwest Auto Customer Appreciation BBQ in Seattle.
    Is Rob W. still around ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    In fact, when I got my 2005, the 9-3 was only third or fourth on my list because I mistakenly thought that the 9-3 was just a re-badged Chevrolet.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Rob W. was around during the September 2010 BBQ.