Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

View Poll Results: How should SaabWorld be funded?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donations from members and visitors

29 74.36%
  • Advertising (Google) for visitors

10 25.64%
  • Advertising (Google) for members and visitors

5 12.82%
  • Advertising (sponsors)

12 30.77%
  • Membership upgrades - offer additional features

7 17.95%
  • No funding, this site should be free to use without advertising

1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

SaabWorld site funding

This has to be addressed sooner or later. I'd rather do it sooner so we stay ahead of any possible issues. Growth can be slow but it can also happen overnight.

The site is currently hosted on a shared hosting plan. This basically means limited admin options/access and one server can host hundred's of different websites. I think the site has been pretty reliable and pretty fast so far. There were a few times when the site was unavailable for a few hours but nothing too bad.

There are a few options:

1) Donations from members and visitors
    2) Advertising (Google) for visitors
    3) Advertising (Google) for members and visitors
    3) Advertising (sponsors) listings/links in dedicated Sponsor forum
    4) Membership upgrades - offer additional features, do not show advertising for paid members etc.
    5) No funding, this site should be free to use without advertising

How should a site like this be funded? I would like it to be independent as much as possible but it should also be a quality, reliable site with new features and software for many years to come.

You are the customer so let's vote and discuss how it should be funded. Any other ideas? You can vote for one or more in the poll.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    my vote goes to step 5.
    a free forum is the best choice to get members and visitors.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    In a perfect world, I would love to have this forum kept free, but to keep it running costs money. Wulf set this up, well knowing that, but I see no reason why he shouldn't make a little something to cover the costs, and even if he gets some on top. That being said, the last thing I want is where you are forced to pay for it, or the ads become distracting and take up the whole page, but I wouldn't mind a small ad that takes up blank space, for example like at other forums (SC). I also think donations would be great. While I doubt many would actually donate, I know people will. While it will be small, ever penny can count towards new features, and maintenance for the site.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Um...the only fundraising I've ever liked doing/partaking in is putting on tractor-pulls and selling tee shirts

I can say I am all _against_ membership upgrades. And we see what has happened to SC, them being in the pocket of PartsForSaabs and all, but I do think we could do better than that. If we could get parts sites to give us exclusive deals, coupons, etc, that would be very nice. I haven't voted in the poll yet, because I really have no idea. Like Shazam, I would love to have this forum kept free, but I'm a nice guy, so I won't expect Wulf to fund this forever.

Perhaps a hybrid solution is best. A few unobtrusive ads which Wulf could modulate in quantity depending on how much money goes through them, donations, a tee-shirt, and maybe a sponsor coupon deal once we're bigger.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I wish my best for SAAB-world and I will keep in the line of the leaders thoughts and goals.
    as a visitor we all can be considered as ambassadors of Saab's name. dealers and car makers are passing the crisis time, also some visitors...
    What ever is good for for SAABworld.net ......."welcome to forum sponsors"

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the feedback so far. You probably noticed the new Sponsors forum already. We just have to see how it goes and adjust over time.

There is a lot of free open source software available, including forums. There are also inexpensive web hosting options available so you can run a site on the cheap. I just want to stay ahead of potential problems and offer the best and fastest site experience possible. As usual, you get what you pay for.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the link. I'll check to see if they have an affiliates program. I was also coming across this European tyre company. Are they well known and have a good reputation in Europe?

tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk: tyre dealer for cheap passenger, summer, winter tyres
    Reifen online @ ReifenDirekt.de: Winterreifen, Sommerreifen, Pkw-Reifen und Reifenhandel

This same company also has a US site but I am not familiar with them: tires online @ tires-easy.com: tire dealer for cheap passenger, summer, winter tires

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    PRIMACY HP 235/45 R17 94W

UK
    mytyres.co.uk - Details: Michelin PRIMACY HP 235/45 R17 94W with rim protectionleiste, M0, BSW, GRNX
    132 pounds
    $204.4

GERMANY
    ReifenDirekt.de - Details: Michelin PRIMACY HP 235/45 R17 94W mit Felgenschutzleiste, M0, BSW, GRNX
    146.7€
    $193

USA
    tires-easy.com - Details: Michelin PRIMACY HP 235/45 R17 94Y with rim protectionleiste, BSW, GRNX
    $265

SPAIN:
    neumaticos-online.com - Detalles: Michelin PRIMACY HP 235/45 R17 94W con protector de llantaleiste, M0, BSW, GRNX
    146.9€
    $193.3

CHEAPER $178
    Neumáticos for SAAB 9-3 2.8 V6 T 250 235/45 R17 94 W - POPGOM.es
    135.5€
    $178

please note: in Europe there is a promotion discount, no in UK and USA.
    well, one of the Michelin factories is located in Aranda del Duero, Spain. I have been using Michelin tires for long time ago with a good comfort and durability ride without issues. many people buy tires online in Spain.

also by trunk moto mobile assembled at your home for cheaper price.
    Last edited by jlrSAAB; 18 December 2010 at 11:21.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6