Santa Barbara, California – Saab is celebrating two decades of convertible sales success with a special anniversary model, the Saab 9-3 Convertible 20 Years Edition, in the country where the story began.
The concept of a practical, all-year-round, “four season, four-seater” soft top was pioneered by Saab when it launched the first Saab 900 Convertible in the United States market in January 1986. A limited production run of 400 units with a 175-hp, 2.0-liter turbo engine was an immediate success and the following year, the Saab Convertible went into full global production.
Now that more than 240,000 Saab Convertibles have been produced, the 9-3 “20 Years Edition” Convertible made its world debut at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show in January 2006. The new top-the-line model goes on sale in spring 2006 and – just like its predecessor two decades ago – is limited to 400 units for the United States market.
“The Convertible is unmistakably the icon of Saab’s product portfolio,” said Jay Spenchian, Saab USA general manager. “With its striking design, spirited performance, surprising functionality and exemplary safety, the Convertible is simply Saab at its best. The 20 Years Edition is the latest expression of this model, and its unique equipment makes this Convertible an instant collector’s item.”
Offered at an MSRP of $44,615 (including destination charge), the Saab 9-3 20 Years Edition Convertible is powered by the all-new 250 hp, 2.8-liter V-6 turbo engine and is distinguished by its unique electric blue metallic paint finish.
Based on Aero specification, with a lowered sport-tuned chassis, it includes the following features:
- Tonneau cover, door trim and door handles color-matching in electric blue metallic
- Unique “double five-spoke,” 17-inch alloy wheels
- Color-matched rear trunk lid lip spoiler
- Parchment leather sport interior with electric blue upholstery trim lines
- Touring package, including power front seats with driver’s side memory, express-up windows, soft top opening by remote control, auto dimming rear-view mirror with garage door opener and compass, rain sensing wipers and rear park assist
The 9-3 Convertible also offers all the fun-to-drive qualities of the widely acclaimed 9-3 Sport Sedan chassis; a fast-acting, fully automatic top with space-saving flexible trunk storage; pop-up rear bars and a five-star EuroNCAP crash safety rating.
Other Saab Convertible design features include:
- Front seats with integrated seat belts for ease of use and convenient rear seat access
- A cockpit-inspired cabin with light parchment-colored interior headlining
- Profiler instrument/function customization by personal preference
- “Intelligent” air conditioning control with heat settings when soft-top is down
- Saab ReAxs passive rear wheel steer characteristic for optimum handling
- Active front head restraints to help prevent neck injury in rear-end collisions.
- DynaCage rollover protection system with pop-up rear bars, strengthened A-pillars, sills and automatic seat-belt pre-tensioning
On the road, the all-aluminum, 2.8-liter V-6 turbo engine, with a single twin-scroll turbocharger, delivers 250-hp maximum power and an outstanding 258 lb.-ft. of maximum torque between 1,800 and 4,500 rpm. It gives the Saab 9-3 20 Years Edition high levels of performance (0 – 60 mph in just 7.0 seconds) and refinement in keeping with its eye-catching good looks. It also offers excellent fuel economy, rated at 28 mpg EPA highway. There is a choice of six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions.
Standard electronic chassis systems include Saab-tuned ESP (Electronic Stability Program); EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), CBC (Cornering Brake Control) and TCS (Traction Control System).