Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    So the consensus is to disconnect the center speaker once the other speakers are upgraded? I actually bought some Infinity's for the 6.5" door and Polk's for the 3.5" dash...to be installed. I did also pick up a decent pair of 6x9 for the rear deck; is there any way to send more power to the rear speakers?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    My understanding is that the doors provide most of the bass unless you have the 13-speaker system with stock 6x9's.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero Convertible
    I have a 2006 originally with the 7 speaker system. My stock amp is in the trunk, amping the door woofers (which I have upgraded). I was able to add another amp (also in the trunk) which amps the front tweeters and mids and the rear mids. Works awesome.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSchteeve View Post
    I have a 2006 originally with the 7 speaker system. My stock amp is in the trunk, amping the door woofers (which I have upgraded). I was able to add another amp (also in the trunk) which amps the front tweeters and mids and the rear mids. Works awesome.
    Did you add the amp yourself? I've spoken to a few professional installers that won't touch my car.
    I have to look and see if the amp in is my trunk.

Thanks,

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero Convertible
    I used a professional installer. They were aware that the Saab system can be tricky. We left the stock amp to power the woofer speakers in the doors (although I did upgrade the door woofer speakers to Infinity's which I think improved the sound a lot). We (he - the installer) then added an amp in the trunk, took the feed directly from the head unit which was powering the dash and rear speakers, so the new amp powers only those 4 speakers. He - the installer - says that was a fairly simple operation, not messing with the stock amp. We disconnected the center dash speaker. Of course, I upgraded the dash and rear speakers as well.

I really think that is the best simple solution for this system - leave the head unit and stock amp as-is, add the new amp to power dash and rear speakers, replace all 6 speakers, disconnect the center. This sound is the best I have ever had in any vehicle, and I have upgraded 2 others in a similar way.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06' 93t
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSchteeve View Post
    I used a professional installer. They were aware that the Saab system can be tricky. We left the stock amp to power the woofer speakers in the doors (although I did upgrade the door woofer speakers to Infinity's which I think improved the sound a lot). We (he - the installer) then added an amp in the trunk, took the feed directly from the head unit which was powering the dash and rear speakers, so the new amp powers only those 4 speakers. He - the installer - says that was a fairly simple operation, not messing with the stock amp. We disconnected the center dash speaker. Of course, I upgraded the dash and rear speakers as well.

I really think that is the best simple solution for this system - leave the head unit and stock amp as-is, add the new amp to power dash and rear speakers, replace all 6 speakers, disconnect the center. This sound is the best I have ever had in any vehicle, and I have upgraded 2 others in a similar way.
    Wonderful information...I was hesitant to go any further beyond the basic speaker upgrades. I’m excited to hear that’s it’s possible to get decent sound out of my rear deck.

Thanks again,