Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    88 900TC, 90 Tally SPG
    No it was Kevin J. I mentioned I bought my first Saab from MV, a 03 Linear, and he said he probably ordered it, since he used to do the buying down there.

I went to SA for service a few times for my SS and my Viggen. Tried to buy a 9-7x there a couple years back but they wouldn't budge on price.

I met Ted and Jim a few times, I know Ted was a frequent poster over on TSN. Really nice guy, with the brand forever... not sure what he is up to now.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    Our local stealership was Henley Saab, now Henley Motors ... switching to Renault!
    Henley Motors

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Charles River Saab in Boston shuts down dealership after 55 years

Name:  Charles River dealership.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  62.7 KB

Charles River Saab, the oldest Saab dealer in the USA, is shutting down their Saab dealership and moving Saab parts and service to their Volvo dealership.

Charles River Saab is moving!

After 55 years in Watertown, Charles River Saab is moving to Boston. Since the bankruptcy of Saab Cars and Saab Cars North America, we have been working on other strategies to maintain our presence on Arsenal Street, but to no avail. Thus, having been left with a parts and service operation alone, we are going to move 4,820 feet across the Charles River and consolidate our resources and operations with our sister-store, Boston Volvo Village, on North Beacon Street in Allston/Brighton.

While we will have a new location, you will still find the same Saab staff and the same commitment we’ve always had to the Saab brand, not to mention our unmatched expertise and enthusiasm for Saab vehicles. Charles River Saab customers will enjoy the same services they’ve come to expect—loaner cars, car washes, detailing, shuttle service, the best parts department anywhere, and more Saab knowledge than any entity outside of Sweden. Plus, they will also benefit from some of the enhanced features our Volvo customers have enjoyed for years, including a variety of waiting rooms (don’t miss the quiet room with the massaging chair), shuttle service to Kenmore and Central Squares, and indoor service check-in.

From the Boston Globe:

Name:  charles river saab.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  60.6 KB

Charles River Saab to hold farewell open house

Often, when a business shuts down, the owners tape an “Out of Business—Thanks for Your Patronage” note to the door as they lock it for the final time.

The folks at Charles River Saab in Watertown are going about it the opposite way: They’re holding a farewell open house on Saturday from 5-8 p.m. as the oldest Saab retailer in the Western Hemisphere shuts down after 55 years.

“We’re opening the doors for all the old employees, plus some customers, to stop by and say goodbye to the joint,” says service manager Pierre Belperron, who will be staying on site for a few weeks to close down operations at the Arsenal street facility.

Meanwhile the staff will be moving the service and parts operation about a mile down the road to Boston Volvo at 75 North Beacon Street, Brighton, another of the Village Automotive Group’s dealerships.

“We’ll continue to do service and parts work as long as there are Saabs on the road,” says Belperron.

Saab has been shut down and in bankruptcy since December and efforts to reorganize the company have been stymied because General Motors still owns many product licenses.

When the company ceased production, Charles River Saab had 70 vehicles in stock.

“Most were sold within 30 days and the rest within 60,” says Belperron. “Sadly, it was one of the biggest sales months in our history. A lot of buyers liked the fire sale prices even though the cars came without a factory warranty.”

Belperron says mechanical parts won’t be a long-term problem for those new Saabs; however, it may be a while before the company or aftermarket suppliers can offer body parts.

“Even if the company returns, prospects are that it would be three or four years before any new product comes to market,” says Belperron, the go-to person for Boston-area Saabphiles since 1989.

“We’re expecting about 100 folks to stop by,” he says, “including Felix Bosshard, the original owner of CRS.”

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Not "Closed" but the last of the Signs have been removed as per GM - Fred Beans SAAB is no longer - but we ARE still here servicing Saab's.

Name:  IMG_20130110_140825.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20130110_140952.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  41.4 KB

FYI - sign is getting trashed.... I may attempted to unbolt some bits if it doesn't get broken further.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    I have heard that International Motors in Falls Church, VA is going to be turned into a condo highrise.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Lots of former dealerships are selling their Saab signs and interior furniture. So far all the prices I have seen are laughably high, like wanting $2000 for a wall mounted back-lighted brushed aluminum SAAB sign. The market is probably flooded with these and very few people will buy them at these prices, then they will be put into some dusty storage backroom if unsold, then ten years later they'll be thrown away. I'd pay $300-500 for a nice Saab sign, but $2000? Only a few selected Saab-related businesses would buy that.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    Lots of former dealerships are selling their Saab signs and interior furniture. So far all the prices I have seen are laughably high, like wanting $2000 for a wall mounted back-lighted brushed aluminum SAAB sign. The market is probably flooded with these and very few people will buy them at these prices, then they will be put into some dusty storage backroom if unsold, then ten years later they'll be thrown away. I'd pay $300-500 for a nice Saab sign, but $2000? Only a few selected Saab-related businesses would buy that.
    Beans threw theirs out years ago
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Guilford Saab in Connecticut. From Facebook through the Dutch Saab forum

To All of Our Saab Friends,

It is with great difficulty and sadness that I write you this letter. After 34 years of business, Guilford Saab is forced to close our doors. As you may or may not know, my husband Phil lost his battle to cancer on December 29th. It wasn’t without a fight and a major effort on his part to try to be at the store every day to talk with customers and to support his employees right until the end.

Phil opened Guilford Saab in 1979 with a passion for the Saab brand and a vision to take the best care of all Saab owners and enthusiasts. He built a strong team to accomplish what he set out to do with great success. He enjoyed living in Guilford and was proud as he drove around the shoreline towns seeing all of the SAAB’s on the road, customers waving and smiling as they passed by.

As all of you have experienced, the takeover of SAAB by GM turned more smiles into frowns, and the recent and final blow to the wonderful brand came when all ties were cut to the retailers. Being put in that position put an end to all new car sales, it limited the parts availability and completely stopped reimbursement for warranty work. During that time there were many discussions and sleepless nights as to whether we close the doors and stop the frustration and financial burden, or try to continue on with the business to take care of our very loyal SAAB customers. Phil’s determination to continue to service all of his customers might not have been the best business decision, but he told me it made the customers happy and that was most important to him. Though the financial position we were put in strained the business, staying open made him happy and I wanted to help to keep that spark in him as long as I could.

Our last day of business will be Friday, January 18th. We have been in contact with Charlie Secor at Secor SAAB in New London to help you with your future SAAB needs. Secor Saab is able to perform all the warranty work and also provide you with exceptional service. If you have questions or comments, I would encourage you to contact Phil’s partner Susan at Land Rover Guilford, who has offered to discuss options, answer questions, as well as provide services and routine maintenance for your SAAB.

Again, as difficult as it has been to watch a wonderful brand and our 34 year history come to end, I send you this letter to let you know that we all thank you for your continued friendship and support over those 34 years. Phil was so proud to represent SAAB and though he knew quite some time ago that the end was near, he did everything he could to keep the momentum going, his team working and his customers happy. I feel that he accomplished what he set out to do regardless of all of the issues he faced along the way. I can’t thank you enough for being such a large part of our lives, with all of the memories and friendships that have been established over the years. I will cherish them forever and will smile every time I pass a SAAB on the road.

Sincerely,

Nancy Elderbaum

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Not "Closed" but the last of the Signs have been removed as per GM - Fred Beans SAAB is no longer - but we ARE still here servicing Saab's.
    So even former Saab dealers that are now official Service Centers are not allowed to have these Saab signs at their dealership?

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    So even former Saab dealers that are now official Service Centers are not allowed to have these Saab signs at their dealership?
    CORRECT - GM said "not in my backyard" (if you are a dual dealership) if you are a non GM affiliated location it doesn't matter.

On a side note - if you are feeling stupid and have lots of money look what showed up for sale @ work;

Name:  IMG_20130115_122853.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  46.6 KB

Only $1200.... I already offered them $100 - they will be lucky to get $500 IMHO. Yes it IS florescent back lit - it's made for hard-wire, but can be pre-wired if desired. No they have not tested it. $1200...