Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

BAIC to use the old Saab name Shenbao for cars based on Saab 9-3 and 9-5

Name:  BAIC C70 Saab.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  55.4 KB

TTELA:

BIAC to use the old Saab name

Beijing Automotive, BAIC, has registered the name Shenbao for the cars that are manufactured with old Saab technology, reports the Taiwanese and Chinese media. Shenbao is a trademark previously used for Saab cars.

Taipei China Times, Car News China and other English-language media reported that Beijing Automotive, BAIC, has registered the name Shenbao for the models that they are going to sell based on the old tools of models 9-3 and 9-5. Shenbao is a brand that Saab was sold during the 90's. Taipei China Times said that the registration of the name Shenbao could be a strategic move by BAIC's side, to prevent others, potential Saab buyers, using the name in China. But both Car News China and the China Car Times reports that the registration of Shenbao is for BAIC's C70 model, which is the vehicle based on the old Saab technology.

TTELA has also previously written about BAIC as one of the Saab bidders, in which a vice president of BAIC's investment companies, Mao Hai, confirmed that it was considering going into as a stakeholder in Saab's bankruptcy estate. But according to Chinese colleagues TTELA was in contact with a few weeks ago to BAIC's management later said at a motor show that people no longer had any interest in the estate but only interested in the manufacture of the old production tools from Saab.

China Car Times:

BAIC C70 to become the 'Gentlemens Treasure' in Chinese

绅宝 (Shen Bao) is the new name of BAIC’s C70 series of cars according to a recent trademark registration by Beijing Auto. Shen refers to a gentlemen and Bao is treasure, or something that is precious, overall its a great name.

The C70 series of cars were unveiled at the Beijing Auto Show and are bound to be major hits when the 2.0T powered cars start to hit the production lines and dealerships towards the end of the year.

Svenska Dagbladet:

China-Saab wants to take the old name

Chinese BAIC build cars for the domestic market based on the old Saab technology. Now you want to breathe life into Saab's Chinese name as well, say P 4 West.

Today's Saab in China called Sabo, but the former was the local name Shenbao and that is what BAIC now would be allowed to take over. Shenbao has been used in Taiwan by Saab in decades, reports the China Car Times.

Shenbao can be translated as "upper-class tax". Sabo, the current name, is not nearly as elegant.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Name:  BAIC C70 Saab.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  55.4 KB

TTELA:

BIAC to use the old Saab name

Beijing Automotive, BAIC, has registered the name Shenbao for the cars that are manufactured with old Saab technology, reports the Taiwanese and Chinese media. Shenbao is a trademark previously used for Saab cars.

BAIC C70 to become the 'Gentlemens Treasure' in Chinese

绅宝 (Shen Bao) is the new name of BAIC’s C70 series of cars according to a recent trademark registration by Beijing Auto. Shen refers to a gentlemen and Bao is treasure, or something that is precious, overall its a great name.
    Today's Saab in China called Sabo, but the former was the local name Shenbao and that is what BAIC now would be allowed to take over. Shenbao has been used in Taiwan by Saab in decades, reports the China Car Times.

Shenbao can be translated as "upper-class tax". Sabo, the current name, is not nearly as elegant.
    Seems like they don't use a similar pronunciation but use another word that only has some of the sounds. In English, Saab is spelled the same way as in Sweden and sounds similar (Sah-bb versus the Swedish Saw-bb). In general, the English name of cars usually are similar to the native language. For example, VW is not called "People's Car" although the way it sounds (vee-double-u) is different from Liechtenstein (vow-vay). I say Liechtenstein because I heard it there but didn't hear the word spoken while I was in Germany.

I wonder what other imported cars are called in mainland China?

What is the old 9-3? 9-3SS, the current one? Or the OG9-3? If the 9-3SS, I wonder if the window regulators are the same. I am afraid they will break and I don't know if there is an aftermarket part or GM part. The body panels obviously won't fit and many engine parts are available as GM or aftermarket parts.
    Last edited by Dave T; 18 May 2012 at 20:35.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    So will the Viggen be called Pili, 霹雳?

Imagine, Shenbao Pili, such a sporting car!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo