Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD

2010 9-3 xwd downshift

Has anyone ever run into the problem of the hard downshifts with the auto. Mine seems to be downshifting from 5th to 4th at too high a rev causing you to feel a slight jerk. If I had a standard I would say I'm popping the clutch.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    <moved thread to the 9-3 workshop forum>

How many miles on the car?

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Possible software update. Any XWD or Rear Diff warnings?
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Possible software update. Any XWD or Rear Diff warnings?
    No warnings or any other signs of an issue. The shifting overall is not as smooth or good as I am used to in any of my other cars with autos for instance it's also a little sloppy taking off from a stop and shifting from 1 -2 but the downshift from 5 to 4 is very noticable especially with your foot off the gas, it just grabs all of a sudden so you get a noticable jerk.

It also seems there is noticable turbo lag at least compared to my GTI. I've read GM used a large high pressure turbo so I've chalked it up to that and a lack of torque. I know the 9-3 XWD is a heavy car. It drives very well and is very comfortable other than these issues.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Try getting a tune to help fix the turbo lag issue. Stock cars are IMHO lame on the software. A good stage1 will correct these issues. I have a stage 1 in both my 9-3SS via Tuned by MPS. I can now pull out in traffic properly.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    What is a Stage 1? I don't have one those tech3 devices they're so expensive.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Just a "re-mapping" of the computer and these cars take well to it without any strain. For about $300 to $600 you can get the 210 engine to 240/250 horses and it will probably get better mileage by a few mpg. There are a bunch or vendors: Vtuner in Vermont, Brew City, JZW and probably four or five others. If you go to a meet or event there will perhaps be one of the guys and they will do your car on the spot in under half an hour by a simple plug in (that's the low end but same product), as what you will get out of the hand held where you plug in and download the program yourself and though more expensive you can change programs at will. There are still a few "old school" tuners that do it by sending in your computer and/or doing a core swap. I have the Vtuner on our 2.8 and am very satisfied and there is very little pissing and moaning at least among the main players.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    Just a "re-mapping" of the computer and these cars take well to it without any strain. For about $300 to $600 you can get the 210 engine to 240/250 horses and it will probably get better mileage by a few mpg. There are a bunch or vendors: Vtuner in Vermont, Brew City, JZW and probably four or five others. If you go to a meet or event there will perhaps be one of the guys and they will do your car on the spot in under half an hour by a simple plug in (that's the low end but same product), as what you will get out of the hand held where you plug in and download the program yourself and though more expensive you can change programs at will. There are still a few "old school" tuners that do it by sending in your computer and/or doing a core swap. I have the Vtuner on our 2.8 and am very satisfied and there is very little pissing and moaning at least among the main players.

Thanks for the update. I had seen a handheld tuner by Brew City when I was searching for parts but was unsure as to how good they were or if they hurt the engine.

uti ex parte LABOR

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    [FONT=Arial]planto certus macula pars est sursum[/FONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paamf View Post
    Thanks for the update. I had seen a handheld tuner by Brew City when I was searching for parts but was unsure as to how good they were or if they hurt the engine.

uti ex parte LABOR