Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasaabi View Post
    Perhaps you don't realize that the moderators here are the same bunch....
    That's not correct. SaabScott is the only moderator from SC who is also moderator on SW. The other two are members from SC who expressed interest in becoming a moderator here on SW. Here is the list: http://saabworld.net/showgroups.php

Moderators from SC are more than welcome here but they don't automatically become a moderator on SW. They'll have to participate, add value to SW and show genuine interest before they will be considered. Just like anyone else. We don't want to be an exact copy of the moderator team on SC and would like to get some new perspective from new members or long-time members from SC.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 09 August 2010 at 13:47.

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs

Time to evolve again?

So I was thinking about the title of this thread again, wondering - what's the point?

All it takes is one look at Saabsunited to see just how many Saab forums are out there.

Why does Saabworld need to be positioned as an alternative to anything?

I think it should be positioned as a stand-alone. Otherwise SW may always be seen as someone's little brother, if you know what I mean.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
    So I was thinking about the title of this thread again, wondering - what's the point?

All it takes is one look at Saabsunited to see just how many Saab forums are out there.

Why does Saabworld need to be positioned as an alternative to anything?

I think it should be positioned as a stand-alone. Otherwise SW may always be seen as someone's little brother, if you know what I mean.

This isn't the positioning of the creator or moderators of this site, but the view of the OP of this thread.
    SW is not going to take a back seat to anyone or anything out there.
    It is what it is and we aren't going to make any excuses for that.

However, as it has been pointed out already, SW will take a long time to become one of (if not the) premier Saab forum out there.
    Until that time comes, we have a lot of work to do!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Frank
    Saab(s)
    It really is a stand-alone forum and is not meant to replace SC. Most SC members haven't even made it over here and some already left SW again. But that's ok. SW may never be the biggest or the 'best' and that's ok too. And a great forum for some may not be a good match for others. I think the key is to offer something different with a global membership and many (technical) resources available on the site.

As SaabScott said, it will take a while before the site will have a larger number of members. As long as you enjoy being here, that's all that counts.

Saab as a brand is very small in the automotive world but owners are a dedicated bunch. I see SAABworld to be the Saab of all Saab forums. Small but different and just a nice place to be.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 14 August 2010 at 02:35.

Joe
    Third Saab's a Charm Warren Demontague's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3SS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    I see SAABworld to be the Saab of all Saab forums. Small but different and just a nice place to be.
    Perhaps you just found your slogan.
    2010 9-3SS 2.0T AT (Sold)
    2006 9-3SS Arc 5-speed (RIP)
    2004 9-3SS Linear 5-speed (RIP)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 37 View Post
    One good attribute of Saab is that it is not different, as the term used by Wulf, just to be different. The hatchback, ignition key location, FWD, turbo, and 15" wheels in the classic 900 (instead of 13 and 14" in those days) were engineering decisions, not an attempt to be weird.
    Hey, at least I didn't use the Q word. :icon_lol:

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    This isn't the positioning of the creator or moderators of this site, but the view of the OP of this thread.
    IMHO, when Wulf changed the name of the original poster's thread he was acknowledging the importance of the start-up period. There isn't a ton of content yet, after all. And lots of new viewers and members from around the world, at an impressionable (vulnerable) time for the new forum.

By changing the name he was also admitting that the longer he as founder allowed the thread title to stand, the more it would come to represent something that evidently didn't sit right with him. To continue allowing the display of 'the end of SC' thread was to engage in, and endorse, petty politics and smallness. Not only was this bad karma it was somewhat inauspicious and counter to the notion of being a (Saab)World class forum. He was right to change the name. But I'm wondering whether he changed it enough.

The current title of the thread is still fairly localized. It doesn't quite schmeck of the kind of world class forum I believe Wulf is after. As has been said, SW is not intended to be an alternative to anything. So changing the title to something like "A Worldwide forum for Saabists" would better capture the flavour & intent of SW and would be a noble way of putting the past to bed.

You might say, "Who cares! It's just one thread!"

I would say it's the most important thread currently on this forum, as it's helping mark the development of SW's identity. Folks around the world are watching.

Anywhooooo...that's my ..02! Or maybe it''s .04 now...

BTW Wulf, Yes, I do enjoy being here!

Saab(s)
    '03 9-3 SS Vector
    IMHO, when Wulf changed the name of the original poster's thread he was acknowledging the importance of the start-up period.
    Yes, Wulf did change the title as was suggested to him ...
    Once again Scott got the story wrong..... You really should be paying attention ..

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The current title of the thread is still fairly localized. It doesn't quite schmeck of the kind of world class forum I believe Wulf is after. As has been said, SW is not intended to be an alternative to anything. So changing the title to something like "A Worldwide forum for Saabists" would better capture the flavour & intent of SW and would be a noble way of putting the past to bed.
    How about "A new worldwide Saab forum emerges!" Perhaps we should have a poll for the best thread name.

SAABworld is the Apple of Saab forums?

[FONT=Tahoma]Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. [/FONT]

Last edited by nordwulf; 15 August 2010 at 01:32.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    How about "A new worldwide Saab forum emerges!" Perhaps we should have a poll for the best thread name.
    Went for a walkabout. Been busy. I'm back.

How about something to the effect of a new worldwide Saab forum created in the post-GM era. A Phoenix re-birth, rising out of the ashes, so to speak.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)