Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-5 1.9 Tid, 9-3 1.9 TDi

Excessive smoke 9-5 1.9TiD

We just bought an 07 1.9 TiD (150bhp). It's a really nice car, loads of power, very comfortable and great to drive. The problem is that if you drive, for instance, for a few miles at a reasonable speed, say 60-70mph, when you then slow down in traffic, the car smokes a lot. Swirls of blue/white smoke, which carries on till you stop the car. After you have stopped, even for a minute, the problem is gone; no smoke.
    The car has fairly low mileage (70k). I don't know if this has some bearing.
    Can anyone suggest a possible cause for the smoke?
    Many Thanks.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Smoke during deceleration is usually caused by blow-by as a result of failed valve stem seals, or something like that. However with only 70K on your motor that would be unusual. You need to take it to a tech for a leak down test. Not very expensive and will tell him what is up. However, since I don't even know if diesels have valves and I do know they don't have plugs, maybe you can't even do a leak down test. The diesels are not imported to the US. In any case you do need to get to a tech.

Saab(s)
    9-5 1.9 Tid, 9-3 1.9 TDi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Smoke during deceleration is usually caused by blow-by as a result of failed valve stem seals, or something like that. However with only 70K on your motor that would be unusual. You need to take it to a tech for a leak down test. Not very expensive and will tell him what is up. However, since I don't even know if diesels have valves and I do know they don't have plugs, maybe you can't even do a leak down test. The diesels are not imported to the US. In any case you do need to get to a tech.
    Thanks Mike
    Our mechanic is systematically working through the possible causes. It's just the fact that turning the engine off and on again completely stops the smoke, makes me think it may be something mechanical, which gets reset during ignition.