Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero; 2002 9-3 HOT Hatch

200A Alternator Distributors?

Good Evening SW,

Does anyone know of/can link me to a distributor of high output alternators for my 2004 9-5 Aero?
    I swore a year or two ago there were some 200 amp ones for sale on ebay, now I don't see any.
    If anyone know where I could score one, that would be amazing!

EDIT: I found a place called Quality Power that sells direct fit replacements, can anyone vouch for them?

Thanks,

Mario

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Nobody has touched this question and it's been a day, so I'll tell you what I know. Saab uses a GM alternator, your 9-5 has a different casing than my 9-3. If we don't mind changing our pulleys, we can both get better pricing on alternators if we use the Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, even Saturn part numbers. If you look at alternators that will bolt onto the Ecotech engine by size, you can find alternators with 300 amp outputs that will fit.

I don't know Quality Power, so I looked up their website, ran the numbers for your car and the picture that came up is the GM S type casing with a Saab pulley, then I ran the numbers for my car and came up with the same picture. If you get what is pictured it should be a direct fit for your car and it will cost you more than buying the same alternator for a Chevy. It looks to come with the Saab pulley and sometimes those pulleys don't want to come off. If you should ruin the pulley in the process of moving it, you will need the pulley. If the power curve is good, this alternator with a pulley may not be the greatest deal possible, but it's not a walk away bad one either.

The casing for the alternator only means that it will physically fit, how it's wound determines how it performs. The Quality website didn't list power curves for their alternators and 200 amp at 8,000 rpm will cost more and isn't going to do as much for you as a standard GM 160 amp at 12 to 2,200 rpm. Before you go spending big money for a big output alternator, knowing what the output is at low idle and normal driving rpm will tell you if it's worth the asking price.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Just curious.. why do you want one with a higher output than the regular 140 amp?

Saab(s)
    @Nordwulf,

I have a 6 channel amp and all 9 channels replaced with aftermarket speakers, looking to possibly get subs installed, and tuning it.
    I know I might lose about 8 hp, is that about right?

Saab(s)
    @Digger, see that's the kind of info I need!
    What do you recommended?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Jet engines, large explosions and small arms fire, I'm not the guy to ask for stereo advice, to me it doesn't really matter anymore if they are super expensive or ordinary average, they all sound about the same.

When it comes to electrical power, you could be needing nothing to 30 more amps to power the new system than the factory system. Add up the fuse value for everything you are taking out, subtract that from what you are putting in and get an idea of what you will need.

Saab(s)
    @ Digger,

Mine sounds quite nice, went for sound quality first. I believe you would approve.

I meant the alternator itself, not the system.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazamario View Post
    @ Digger,

Mine sounds quite nice, went for sound quality first. I believe you would approve.

I meant the alternator itself, not the system.
    An alternator is an alternator, and ecotec is ecotec. Lots of high output alternators available that will physically fit, but just so many that will play nice with the PCM so you stop at the largest GM for the 4cyl or pay big money to get one that plays nice with the other parts. Not being compatible with the PCM will give you a full time check engine light and trouble code which could cause you to toast a motor for heat and oil because you couldn't see it coming.

To get a nice big alternator that will fit the hole and play nice with the car without paying out a small fortune to someone, do your own homework and you can find a high output that fits the hole and uses the same voltage regulator. That takes time online and a few trips to the bone yard to measure things so you can spend more time online. You get a bigger alternator you should be getting a bigger wire, so needing to change connector ends to use an alternator that isn't listed to work with your car is no big deal, not letting the computer control your alternator is something you want to avoid.

Big sound systems need big alternators, the bigger the alternator the more picky they are about idle rpm and cold idle rpm gives you more amp output than warm idle which is what kills you in traffic. So the question is: How much more juice will the new system need?