Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    tom1c

Question Hyper-Sensitive Radio and Information Display Knobs

OK let me start out by saying that I'm new to Forums and not real sure how to navigate around in here. So if I'm doing something I'm not supposed to be doing or if I ask a question that has already been asked and answered somewhere else, I apologize up front.

I have 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc convertible and the information display on the dash and the radio display are both hyper-sensitive to any changes when I rotate the info display knob or the radio selection knob. For example, even though there are 5 or more screens to be paged through on the information display, rotating the info knob may only toggle between two screens and if i keep rotating the knob, it may eventually get to the screen I'm trying to get to. It's sort of random which screen it comes to and usually just bounces back and forth between two screen before advancing to the next screen and then may go back to the first screen. Same thing occurs with the radio menu selection knob.

Since this appears to be a common problem from two different knobs, I have to assume that it's not the knob/switches themselves but something that these knobs/switches are feeding into.

Has anyone experienced this before and can someone direct me as to where to look for a solution to this problem

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    SID2 - the vertical control panel to the left of your ICM (Radio face - Infotainment Control Module) and the right of your instrument cluster is the cause of the SID screen failure/knob problem. This may also cause the ICM (radio) to do the same. I would locate a good used SID2 controller and have it installed. I do not believe it needs to be programmed. HOWEVER - they are a hard to remove part if you are not familiar with the dash structure of your Sport Sedan.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. The Workshop forums are the place to get help with your Saab so I moved your thread there.

I was reading about a similar problem with SID adjustments a while ago and all that was needed is to lubricate the rotary switch: http://saabworld.net/f8/saab-informa...problem-25018/

This is probably not the same as your problem and if these are the same type of controls for audio but I thought I should mention.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Ha! Learned something new. I was amazed the control knob in my new 9-3 actually works correctly - but good to know how to rectify when it does act up.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    OMG! I can't believe how easy it was to fix this obnoxious problem. A squirt of WD40 and two years of spitting up blood just to change the time on my clock becomes a memory. Why couldn't I've learned about this three weeks ago?

The lovable quirkiness of my Saab is diminished... but strictly in a good way. Many Thanks!
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

tom1c
    Well a few squirts of switch cleaner would certainly be easier to try first and the backup plan is to replace the SID control panel Just so happens I had a similar problem with the kill switch on my Goldwing and a few squirts of switch cleaner from Radio Shack fixed that problem so maybe this is the same deal. Just thought it odd that both the Info switch and the radio control switch are both exhibiting the same symptom and both started at roughly the same time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!