Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    93 convertible 95 aero

Main beam failure

Hi! My 2004 9-3 main beam has stopped working. Everything else ok. Main beam will work on FLASH, but not when using the dip/Main beam arrangement. Halogen lights. Help! Cheers.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    My English English is good enough to know that the bonnet is the hood and the hood is the soft top and I'm guessing that main beam is the brighter of the two light selections.

Either way I need to know if you loose lights completely when you flip the switch, or if they don't change from dip to main before I can say switch, or relay, or fuse, or-------

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by jimandsally View Post
    Hi! My 2004 9-3 main beam has stopped working. Everything else ok. Main beam will work on FLASH, but not when using the dip/Main beam arrangement. Halogen lights. Help! Cheers.
    You may not find this very helpful, but this is the WIS description.
    Name:  9-3 Headlights.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  39.7 KB

The wiring diagram may help though

Name:  9-5 Headlights wiring.JPG
Views: 1035
Size:  48.1 KB
    Despite the file name this is really a 9-3 diagram

Saab(s)
    93 convertible 95 aero

Many thanks!

Thanks very much, now at least I stand a chance! Where are the BCM (I assume some module) CIM (?) and UEC (?) All new clever stuff to me. I assume the fault lies in the BCM, at a guess; where physically is this in the car? No workshop manual helps, nor the owner manual, or, so far Internet searches. Help!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Jim, you will really need a copy of the WIS software if you can find one, you might try Google looking for WIS and EPC but I can't comment on the legality of what you might find. Also it does require a Windows computer, I use a dedicated Linx Windows 10 tablet.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The CIM is the thing behind the steering wheel that the lever sticks out of. The UEC is the big fuse and relay box under the hood. The BCM is under the dash behind the light switch at the fuse box

Still waiting to hear what happens with the lights when you toggle the switch. So this is all I will tell you. There is a very inexpensive potential fix for this problem if it is the problem, it is the last thing you do before replacing an expensive part because it can also ruin a good and expensive part. Basically if it aint broke, don't touch it.

Check all of your fuses, wiggle all your relays, check your light switch and make sure they are tight in their sockets and if that doesn't fix the lights go visit the place that does your Tech 2 work. After that almost every part that can be the problem needs to be programed to the car and the Tech 2 light test will tell you which part isn't working like it should.

If it turns out to be the switch contact that is integral to the CIM, then and not before then can you risk hosing it down with contact cleaner. If it works you're money ahead, if it doesn't you were needing this part to make it work and nothing is lost if it's ruined.